Are you mad because Romney is rich?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Aug 7, 2012.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The top 400 earners are the top ten thousandth of a percent. They are the outliers like Romney. And if 1/3 of them are paying less than 15% that means 2/3 of them are paying more than 15%. Which is a higher effective rate than the vast majority of the middle class pays.

To be paying less than 15% they are necessarily getting the bulk of their income from capital gains (money that is taxed at least twice), and they have deductions (usually in the form of charitable giving).

We should rejoice in this. High earners get to keep more of their own money!!! Maybe they will buy some of the expensive vintage toys I sell in my shop.

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

well, you are an outlier. most agree with a progressive tax system.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Oh, the humanity!

4. red55

I have no use for liars or outliers.

5. LSUsupaFan

Then most should be satisfied, because we have a progressive tax system.

6. LSUsupaFan

Ya know, if I couldn't formulate an intelligent opinion on the subject matter being discussed, and I couldn't produce facts to support my claims, and I couldn't produce facts to counter the facts the other guy was presenting... then I would probably resort to calling the other guy a liar too.

Now that I have shown we can both be snarky assholes can we go back to discussing the issue? I think if you could just get beyond the democrat talking points and look at the actual facts you would see how wrong you are on this issue. I am trying to teach you something that will give you a better vantage on life. Pay attention Scooter!!! All your age and wisdom is pointless if you become unwilling to learn.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  7. red55

Blah, blah, quit patting yourself on the back. There are other intelligent opinions besides your own, matey.

Most of them can recognize humor when they hear it. That’s a jo..., I say that’s a joke son. I made a funny and you’re not laughin‘. I keep pitchin’ ‘em and you keep missin’ ‘em. Listen to me when I'm talkin' to ya' boy.

funny, I feel the same way about you. In fact, we all feel that way around here. Why not just stick to trying to sell your snake oil?

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  8. LSUsupaFan

I never claimed otherwise, what I said is that YOU can't make a decent, fact supported point relative to this topic.

You need new material, gramps.

Here is the difference hoss. While you are spouting left wing talking point bull shit, I looked at the CBO analysis of real tax returns. It demonstrates that you, and the side of the aisle you support are full of prunes. Since that is true you are reduced to discussing the outliers within the population which is fine. But you attempt to project the outliers of evidence of something. That is horse crap.

So to get back on topic, by what objective basis can you say a rich guy is not paying his fair share? There is none. You have to go back to your subjective feeling that the little guy is getting screwed. Never mind the fact that feeling is demonstrably wrong.

9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

what objective basis do you have to show that the rich guy is paying his fair share of the taxes? what baseline to you have to compare your facts with? if they are paying too much now, then how do you determine what is too much? compared to top marginal tax rates historically, the rich are paying less in taxes than at any point in history today. please justify for us why this should remain this way. from where I am sitting, it looks like we have tried it your way for the past eleven years and it isn't working. tax cuts aimed at the wealthy have very little economic impact and actually do more harm than good in the long term because as wealthy people become more wealthy, they start putting their money in places other than the economy. because of the bush tax cuts, 20-30 trillion dollars has been removed from our cash flow and is stashed in off shore accounts. tell me how that helps the economy?

want to make tax cuts work? make them temporary and give them to the people who will spend the money in ways that helps the economy to expand and grow: the working poor and middle class.

red55 likes this.
  10. LSUsupaFan

They are subject to the highest marginal rates, they pay the highest effective rates, they pay a larger percentage of the tax burden than they receive in national income, they consume fewer government services.

No baseline is necessary.

I never said they are paying too much and have not advocated any changes to the tax code. I have said your basis for wanting to increase taxation is without merit based on fact. And this line of questions should better be addressed by you. What is your baseline for changing the rates? How are they paying too little? What is appropriate? What support can you show?

The economy is larger now than it was 11 years ago, and tax collections are higher now than they were 11 years ago. This, in spite of the worst in three generations recession.

The tax cuts under Bush granted massive cuts to the middle class. some have called them the largest middle class tax cuts in history.