Any question this defensive coaching staff is horrible and needs to be replaced?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

I think our MAIN problem on Defense is that we are not disguising our bliztes!

There were many times that we would shwo blitz, Stafford would check out of that play and we would still come with the same blitz.

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Cool down people. We have young and inexperience at QB and in some defensive positions. Stafford is experienced. It's not our time this year. Let these guys mature. We'll be a force soon. It will take a little time. We are reloading this year.

3. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I agree, our blitzes are sadly obvious. But even sadder is the lack of judgment/instinct to pick the correct crease to blitz. I saw two whole blitzes get to Stafford and he was 1-1 on the throw.

Otherwise, we just seem to run into a block. It's frustrating to watch.

4. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I would not say that. While i agree that the DCs are not the ones on the field making the errors, I really do think there is a communication problem between the players and the DCs and probably the DCs themselves.

Watch the defense, when an offense calls and audible the D looks lost. They also can not check out of a blitz. All of this should be taught on the practice field. That is where i lay the blame on the DCs.

I wish i had a digital copy of the game so i could make a few clips to show what i mean.

5. Crip*TEAM KATT

Thats a HUGE thing that I have noticed. I dont think I have seen the Defense check out of a set play ONCE this year yet!

6. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I have seen the same. But you assume this has not been taught on the practice field. I guess they teach them to arm tackle as well? My point was we were not out schemed, and plays were called in a timely manner. LBs must run the defense(check after an audible) and our inexperience shows at this position.

7. BayouBengal66

BayouBengal66 Freshman

Ughh. Sadly i agree that it was the repeated unsuccessful blitzes by our defenses. Stafford is a very good quarterback and he will make a check on that blitz and will NOT take a sack. I dont know how many times he tore up LSU's secondary with those crossing and slant routes with the middle of the field wide open. But the DC's just could not catch on to "hey, maybe our blitzes NEVER WORK!" and two times they blitzed resulted in a touchdown! And sure, you can blame quarterback play by LSU. but remember Lee is a freshman and he's not going to come out and be spectacular, and hatch. well i dont know what he's doing half the time.
    But hey, this is a rebuilding year so dont panic. We are young and lost a LOT of talent in Matt flynn, Jacob Hester, Ali Highsmith, Glenn Dorsey, Chevis Jackson, Early Doucet, Keith Zinger, and may others.

Go Tigers! :helmet:

8. Crip*TEAM KATT

But why would coaches not teach them to check out of plays unless the coaches dont know what they are doing!

9. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I can see your point and I can not argue. The players on the field need to play. But we are 1/2 through the season and the has been no improvement in game awareness. So i am starting to think that either they are not allowed to check out of the called defensive play no matter what the offense does or they are not being taught on the practice field what to do when the offense calls an audible.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Replace the whole staff? No; its the same guys as last year, except for Pellini. The dual-coordinator scheme must go, though. I'd like to think they're on the same page, but our defensive personality appears almost schizophrenic at times. It's almost as if Mallory says,"OK Bradley, my way's not working. Let's try yours for awhile." Or vice versa.