Any Obama supporters care to list Obama's experience and/or qualifications?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Oct 25, 2008.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Obama won't be perfect, but he can't be worse than what we've gone through. He's going to inherit a war, a recession, a finance crisis, and Russia and China bucking for Superpower status . . . and Obama bin Ladin still runs free. He won't hit it out of the park on all issues. I expect a mixed bag of accomplishments from him but steady progress. McCain couldn't get much done with the big democratic Congressional majorities that are coming in January. And God help us if McCain were to die and leave us with somebody's Mom for President.

Hey, you'll get to see me be critical of a Democratic administration. I'm always critical of the current politicians. If Obama is smart (and I think he is), he will not use his majority to ram legislation through without regard for the Republicans. That was what the Neo-cons did and it only made the issue highly partisan and left Bush without any support when things went south. Obama needs to take charge of the political center and involve the republicans in defining policies, like Reagan and Tip O'Neal did. That way they are in it with him instead of undermining him.

The sky is not falling. SabanFan has it right from time to time. It's a free election, it's the American Way and politics swing from right to left and back again all of the time. Trying to find a balance point in the center, I hope.

People want to get back to the prosperity and stability of the Clinton days. Obama may be different and I doubt he does as good as Hillary would have done, but the notion that he'll become a friend to our enemies is baseless. even Jimmy Carter used military force when needed. Obama is very much on record as wanting to focus on Afghanistan, where the real fight with the terrorists of 9/11 is happening.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Yes, I remember the pre-'06 arguments in favor of "minority party rule" -- pundits were arguing that the interests of the minority were not being represented because the GOP controlled the White House and Congress. I wonder if those same people will have the same concerns when the GOP is the "minority?" (side note--and it could be a "super minority" too. Bush and the GOP never had the luxury of a fillibuster-proof Congress. This is the issue that really scares me.)

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I will concede your earlier post that that and his age are his primary qualifications.

Are you kidding? Pelosi and Reid want blood from the Republicans and their boy toy is going to follow in lock step. By the time voters come to their senses, we are going to be paying $8 bucks a gallon for gasoline and spending money to rebuild the devasation that the terrorists are going to cause. They've been hiding and planning for 8 years, just waiting for a pu$$y administration to come along.

I'm accepting the inevitable but I'm far from happy about it.

1 person likes this.
  4. red55

I'm guessing that they will have to step to Obama's tune, not the other way around. Obama has moved towards the center. If he fails to maintain that position when elected, he won't get re-elected in 4 years. Pelosi and Reid have liberal constituencies at home to cater to, but Obama must represent the entire country. He cannot and will not go totally left on us.

Yes, why hasn't the pussy administration now in office done something about them? Why are they still alive? The Republicans failed to defeat Al Qaida, now the Democrats will get a shot. If they fail, we get to vote again in four years.

That's understandable, but there is no need to invent fear scenarios.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

You can't fix a problem if you don't address it. Our foreign policy is junk and until we change it we will never be any safer no matter who is Pres.

6. SabanFan

Your naivete is amusing. Do you think Obama got to this point on his own? He's a creation of the Democratic leadership, molded in their vision. He's beholden to them. He'll be a puppet.

Al qaida is a mere shell of it's former self. Obama, er, Osama :wink: bin laden has been rendered impotent. In the past weeks, including today, senior al qaida leaders have been targeted and killed.

It's my biggest fear. I can easily deal with the ridiculous tax and spend policies of the liberals. I cannot brush off their cavalier attitude toward our enemies. These are not people (and nations) you can deal with rationally. Smiling prettily while you sit down to cous cous with them will accomplish nothing except to allow them to plot while we sleep.

Been to the WTC lately? It's still a big hole. The only one though.

7. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

And your point?

If you still think we were attacked because we are rich and free then you are just in denial. It's called cause and effect.. Who started is irrelevant it's what you do with it now that counts. Nobody can change the past but we can sure help change the future for the better. And currently that isn't happening.

8. SabanFan

We were attacked because we are infidels. Under an Obama presidency we will still be infidels. You cannot reason with radical muslims. I repeat. YOU CANNOT REASON WITH RADICAL MUSLIMS.

9. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

Riiiiiight. So Americans are the only Infidels in the whole world thus why they attack us.

10. red55

Not so fast, my friend. I'm a lot less naive than you imagine. Hillary was the anointed one, did you forget. Obama came out of nowhere, raised huge amounts of money $10 at a time directly to voters via the Internet and outside of the usual party channels. The democratic leadership had to adapt themselves to Obama.

Al Qaida and the Taliban are killing Americans every day in Afghanistan.

Where do you get this absurd notion? All of our enemies are not crazy terrorists, they are quite rational. The US talked to the Soviets for the entire Cold War and settled it with treaties and no hot war. The US talked with Begin and Sadat and settled that conflict without war. George W. Friggin Bush has successfully talked with the North Koreans (speaking of irrational enemies) to avoid a shooting war. He has talked with his good friend Vladimir, "looked into his eyes and saw his soul".

The same rash President shot first and asked questions later in Iraq and it was a disaster. Talking has gotten our former enemies the Egyptians, the Poles, the Czechs, the Albanians, the Croatians, the Lithuanians, and the Georgians to change sides without firing a shot!

Diplomacy never hurts anybody. Negotiations end up going our way more often than not and rarely hurt us at all. The military should always be used as a last resort.

"War is not an independent phenomenon, but the continuation of politics by different means." -- Karl Von Clausewitz