Alabama radio host says expect large wave of Tide players to transfer in coming weeks

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

NIL will not go away, but the powers that be will revise it. Otherwise, in it’s current form it will kill all college sports. Obviously, they did not think this all the way thru. And yes the non-power 5 schools will be joined by the less rich/successful power 5 schools to force change. As you note, the schools with the richest alumni can split to form their own division. The end result of that experiment would probably be the same as proceeding with NIL in it’s current firm.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

There will be a few; happens every year. I asked because I was curious as to what area of the state as well as from whom. There's one radio guy in Alabama that actually does his job. He's at media viewing periods, attends press conferences, and has established some reliable sources.

On the other hand Birmingham had Jay Barker (of NC, '92 fame) in Birmingham for years and he was clueless as to what was happening on campus unless is was national news.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen rumors go viral on the 'net and found the stories to have been "broken" by radio guys: always wrong it seems.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Exactly what will happen

HalloweenRun, Winston1 and CaryLab like this.
  4. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

It won’t take long for there to be revisions to the NIL. No way they let boosters just pay kids to play like they are starting at Texas.

Hou-duco and shane0911 like this.
  5. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I can't recall the name of the guy, but he is a co-host of an Alabama Football show in Mobile. He is not from Mobile, but he has covered Alabama for many years. He said Alabama is planning on hitting the portal for several more players and they don't have the slots for those players. He said some players will leave on their own and some will be shown the door. As a result, he stated that Alabama is going to have a lot of current players hit the portal. I'm not an Alabama fan, so I don't recall his name, but he co-host of this show every week.

6. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

The problem is college football no longer has anything to do with college and is about making money and lots of it and the players want a piece of the pie! If the NCAA tries to rein it in, I don't think they have a leg to stand on. The problem is the NCAA let college football get so out of control for years and by allowing NIL also to take effect with no guidelines, it's the wild, wild west out there. Let's be real, college football has been one of the most corrupt businesses out there for years and the NCAA has known this! At this point, there is no way you're going to stop boosters from giving money to players regardless of what rules it puts in place. As long as there is NIL in any form, boosters are going to funnel money to players one way or another. That's just the reality of the situation!

7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Sounds like Scott Hunter, but he is from Mobile.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

He's led me to think Creg Stephenson, though he's living in Mobile county. He's a S. Alabama beat reporter but does his spot in the afternoons with Randy Kennedy.

WNSP employed Neal McReedy for years as their Alabama guy. He spent more time following other schools than he did the Tide.
    (BTW, he's hinting Nix to Ole Miss.)

9. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

No, it's not Scott Hunter or Creg Stephenson, but Stephenson is very good on the show. He's an Alabama grad, but he's very unbiased and tells it like it really is. I'm going to continue searching for the guys name and let you guys know as soon as I find out.

MobileBengal and TerryP like this.
  10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

This is typical "oversigning" where Saban "processes players out" to stay under the 85 scholly limit.

The only new twist here is that the Transfer Portal is in use to get schools that have lesser talent than Bama gladly take their castoffs.

Too bad that there will always be schools taking those castoffs. It would be interesting to see schools band together and boycott picking up players from Alabama.

This risk in using the portal to jettison players when Saban gets someone 'better, stronger, faster' is that it only works if another school takes those players as transfers. Otherwise, Bama would need to medical hardship players, get them to quit the team, or kick them off for either academic issues or vio;ating team rules.

The portal makes it easier to 'dispose' of players that a school no longer wants or needs as long as a team with inferior talent gladly takes those players.

seabrookcajun likes this.