A&M's Johnny Football is better than Cam Newton...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Tiger_fan, Oct 18, 2012.

1. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

i agree! we'd better be ready to hit and make sure the guys on the ground or he's going to burn us in "after the first hit" yards.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Dudes first step is wicked. In space, got to corral him, instead of laying the wood. The Heisman love is ridiculous, but he probably has offensive player of the year in the SEC sewed up, barring injury. There's a thought.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The guy is fast, but kind of small to take the pounding of a feature SEC running back, much less a quarterback. At the pace he is running, both rushing and passing, his chances of getting through the SEC season without injury is less than 50%. Some very big, quick, and unpleasant SEC linemen and linebackers are going to hit him in the pocket and pile him on the line.

Astonishingly, I agree with E55, Manziel is going to have a big play or two. I just don't see him running wild and passing up and down the field. Not on a Chavis defense. Not against the talent LSU lines up. We have some speedy guys too, not just in the defensive backfield. They haven't seen anything like the speed of LSU's defensive linemen. The closest was Florida, who whipped their ass.

I think Chavis will spy Manziel if he has to. If he's all A&M has on offense, that is exactly what we will do. Put 7 or 8 men and a spy in the box and take the run away from him. Make him beat us with his arm. Make him read SEC pass defenses. If A&M has other threats, we must not lose sight of them in dealing with a scatback QB.

4. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

+1

5. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

No doubt he is a good one, but substaining hits from 185lbs kids to 300+ and 250+ pound guys is alot different, it tends to take a serious toll on your body, and make you not want to leave that pocket very much, and as for the speed he has never seen the speed he is fixing to see saturday....when you have a 6' 5" 245lb d end that runs a 4.5 40 that can run you down...that's pretty scarry.

6. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I guarantee that JM was getting hit by alot of guys over 185 lbs in 4A football in Texas............if they could catch him. The 300 lb guy in the SEC better hope he is standing still
    because he won't catch him for sure.

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Too many people get the wrong idea about speed. Only a few of the LSU front 7 on D would keep up over a full 40. That isn't the point of the speed we have. As the Ducks found out our D is quick and fast in the box. The difference between a 4.5 and a 4.7 is not much in 10 yards. Remember Keke catching LeMarcus James in the backfield. Also we have 4-6 of our 7 who are very quick on the field at all times. This makes that box very small. If JM has to dodge Keke he will be a duck for Sam or Minter or whoever. We do have to maintain discipline though and not allow him open lanes. BTW he will be standing still a few times when he is hit by a 300# SEC lineman (No 18).

8. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

I agree with this. Johnny Pany hasn't really played any good defenses, except FL. Granted, he has a few more games under his belt, and I'm not taking away from him being good, but LSU plays good execution on defense, and has the size and speed to make that field awfully small. Johnny Pany is just a faster version of Shaw of USC ... and he didn't exactly burn the field up.

I mean really ... LSU's Defense is nothing like LaTech's Defense. I almost think playing Tech last week is going to hurt JM ... he's going to come in too confident, thinking that all defenses are like AR and LaTech. ... it just isn't reality.

9. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

You really don't understand WHY "someone" hits him ON EVERY PLAY............

10. VampMuse

VampMuse Veteran Member

month? You mean the next year when he has to face us again