A&M's Johnny Football is better than Cam Newton...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Tiger_fan, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

True or not, he's a freshman, and he's outperforming our junior starter. And it's not even close. I understand that A&M is not as good of a TEAM as LSU, but they are better at that one position by far.

2. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

i'd say Bray, Murray, Wilson, and McCarron are at the head of the pack when it comes to most pro-ready QBs in the SEC

McCarron's passer rating is not only #1 in the nation right now, but it's the 3rd best passer rating in the last 5 years behind only RGIII and Russell Wilson (both who are looking good in the NFL right now). the knock on McCarron is that he's got that dominant OL and that dominant running game to take all the pressure off him. but you could say the same thing about Russell Wilson at Wisconsin (Wilson averaged 22.1 attempts per game last year, McCarron is currently averaging 22.0 attempts per game)

as for Tyler Wilson, what's impressive about him is that he's getting no help from his running game (Arkansas' running game is dead last in the SEC). another impressive thing about Wilson is he doesn't have Petrino anymore. and yet, despite all that, Wilson is by far #1 in the SEC with 326.2 passing yards per game... with 14 TD and 5 INT after 6 games played

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

2011 Oregon (in Jerry World) -- Darron Thomas threw 54 passes against us... and he only got 240 passing yards

2011 Georgia (in Georgia Dome) -- Aaron Murray threw 51 passes against us... and he only got 218 passing yards

4. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

keep in mind that we only put up 17 points on Auburn in 2010 when they had Cam Newton. Had we only put up 17 points on aTm last game, they would have beaten us as well (they would have won 19-17).

as for Florida (who had the #9 total D in the NCAA back in 2010, #2 in the SEC behind Bama), Cam Newton didn't have to play them

Note: I'm not saying Manziel is better than Newton

5. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

what if you could have Johnny Manziel for 4 years or Cam Newton for 1 year? I wonder what Gene Chizik would pick? think of instead of getting Cam Newton for one year in 2010, what if Chizik had Manziel as a freshman in 2010, a soph in 2011, and a junior this season. Would Gene Chizik still be on the hot seat as much as he is now? Auburn's offense is currently #121/#122 in the NCAA in scoring offense and total offense...and their QB play is horrendous...Frasier and Mosley have throw for 3 TD and 11 INTs, and their QB ratings are 99.40 and 112.93 (the NFL equivalent of 48.36 and 56.01)...both dead last in the SEC along with Missouri's freshman QB Berkstresser

i'm not saying Manziel is better than Cam Newton, but he's a good QB...and as we know here at LSU, good QBs are hard to find... i'd rather 4 years of a good QB that 1 year of a great one with mediocre-at-best QBs the other 3 years

6. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

put Tebow or Pat White in a pro style offense and see what you get. hell, i beat you were one of the ones saying Cam Newton wouldn't be a good NFL QB because he didn't play in a pro-style offense in college

nobody is saying Manziel is going to be a 1st Round draft pick in the NFL Draft, but he's currently putting up numbers that are better than Cam Newton as a college QB. now is he going to do that every year for all four years he is in college? i really don't know. Manziel has a great offensive line this year, but that doesn't mean he's going to have a great OL all 4 years. same thing with Cam Newton, he had an outstanding veteran offensive line consisting of FOUR SENIORS AND A JUNIOR, including an All-SEC center, a LT that was All-SEC and an All-American, and an All-SEC RT that got drafted 4th Round. you take away that great offensive line Auburn had in 2010, Cam Newton isn't going to be as good (had Cam come back in 2011, he'd have lost 4 of his 5 starters on OL)

7. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

and since the news of the ex-LSU players getting arrested is hot news right now.... note that, before the season started, Johnny Manziel got arrested and jailed after he was involved in a fight and police said he produced a fake ID. here's his mugshot:

[​IMG]

the incident occurred just after 2 a.m. in a street in the Northgate entertainment district. an officer on bike patrol witnessed Manziel exchanging punches with another man. when officers asked Manziel for an ID, he produced a phony Louisiana driver's license that showed his birthday as Dec. 6, 1990. Police checked Manziel's wallet and found two more ID cards -- a fake Texas driver's license and Manziel's real driver's license that listed his date of birth as Dec. 6, 1992.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Manzeil wanted to come to LSU but the staff wasn't looking at him as a qb.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Electric chair, for sure.

10. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

I don't know if that rumor is true or not, but i do believe Manziel, being 6-0 tall, would be a better NFL prospect as a DB or a slot receiver (as one of the scouting reports on him out of high school said)

But it is true Saban gave Pat White an offer to LSU as a DB, but didn't want him as a QB