A&M's Johnny Football is better than Cam Newton...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Tiger_fan, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

JM has better instincts, better touch, and better athletic ability. Oh, and he's not only a first-year starter, but he's a first-year college PLAYER. ZM has had three off-seasons with major college programs and a full year of JC. He should be a more finished product than a freshman, but he's not. More bad luck at the QB position. We're bound to get a non-bust one day, I would think.

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

0TDs, 3INTs and less than 30 yards rushing... yeh he's a freak.

3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

The story on Zach Mettenberger for the 2012 season will be told on Nov. 3. If he plays like he did for most of the A&M game with 2 weeks to prepare for the biggest game on our schedule, then we're not going to see significant improvement the rest of the way.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's funny dolemite, I used to say that every year against Alabama, "if Jarrett Lee starts he can fully redeem himself in the eyes of LSU fans". Same thing with Jefferson "all is forgiven if he plays well vs. Alabama". Unfortunately, neither of them ever did. Lee played them in actually our best passing game against them in their tenure, but he threw 2 or 3 pics, one taken to the house and 1 in OT. 2009 Lee came in because Jefferson got raped in front of an official and nothing was called, we lost. 2010 if you remember we couldn't do shit in the first half, Les was on the hot seat according to the fans, and JJ hits RR for an 80 yard TD at the start of the 2nd half, Lee came in late in that game and had some huge first down completions. Lee starts in 11 and throws 2 picks, JJ comes in and does ok, Michael Ford almost gets a rushing TD and RR drops a TD in the end zone. This is why we didn't see any wrinkles in the national championship game, I think Les saw is leave 14 points off the board and figured we could do what we always do and beat them. Didn't work.

Lee and JJ weren't terrible in 2010 in the 2nd half, and JJ wasn't terrible in 2011, other than that qb play has stunk vs the tide.
    I'm interested to see if we can finally get a passing attack on these guys, being that the secondary is the weak link in the chain.

5. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

This and the fact that LSU played in the SECCG, thus giving UGA a chance to layout a defensive blueprint to stop LSU's offense are the two main reasons Bama won the BCSCG. Bama's scrimmage game with Georgia Southern and McCarron studying WVU game film were minor contributing factors as well.

As far as the original topic, it's Cam and it isn't even close.

6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I'm not looking for redemption, but if Mett is as talented as everyone thought he was going into the season, then it's time for him to do what leaders do and step up to the challenge. Coming off a bye and a night game in TS, this game has upset written all over it IF he starts making some plays. It doesn't have to be an all-world performance, just doing what's necessary to extend drives and put points on the board.

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I think if we simply learn to convert on 3rd down and keep our defense rested we'll win this game. If we continue the 3rd down trend this game won't be close.

8. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Funny that you left out the 300 yards passing he put up on our defense. I never really said Manziel was a freak. I just said he's better than Mett. Although to be fair, it doesn't take much, honestly. I guarantee that A&M's offense would be worse and ours would be better if we switched QBs.

9. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

This is exactly correct. The ass-thrashing that we administered to UGA was fools gold. Jefferson was absolutely putrid in the game, but our running game/punt returns/defense were strong enough to still crush them. To me, that was Miles' change to recognize that JJ would not be able to beat a stout defense, and I think the beatdown masked Jefferson's horrible showing.

We also went into the NCG thinking that we'd be able to beat bama with the same game plan as we beat them with during the regular season (which was more of an improv than a "plan"). That was another crucial mistake. bama's D knew what plays we were going to run just as well as we did. I mean, when the same linebacker that's covering the QB on the option tackles the RB that the ball is pitched to, it's time to scrap the damn play.

b_leblanc and fanatic like this.
  10. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Well you can have him, put johnny manziel in a pro style offense and see what you get, he's a gimmik qb who can really scramble, put him behind a subpar offensive line, and not having 4 wr's spread wide to get the ball out of your hands quick to these quick slants and outs, he would not last a season, he's too small.