A&M's Johnny Football is better than Cam Newton...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Tiger_fan, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Early on their WRs were owning our DBs. I do agree that his slight frame wont hold up well against SEC Ds. He is an exciting player to watch though. I was surprised how well he evaded our D. His lack of height was a real issue when we adjusted to keep him contained.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

He was able to elude our defenders--for a time. But we always caught him. What did he end up with? 21 yards rushing?

He's a dynamic player, no doubt, and he can toss the ball well when he has time. He will not be a Tebow or Newton.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

i never said our offense was any better, this guy has a good offensive line but he is average at best.

4. ThePhenom74

He is a totally different player. He is more elusive but as mentioned doesnt have the size of those guys. He wont be able to plow through a D and break tackles like they did. Manziel is more along the lines of Vick and Crouch. A smaller, elusive runner. He is a decent passer but has to improve to do consistently welll against a SEC caliber D.

5. ThePhenom74

Id much rather him right about now that Mett, JJ, or Lee thats for damn sure. Trash him all you want but he has played well. Remember, LSU is a top tier D w a great DC. LSU has by far the best D and athletes he has played against. He is a redshirt FR. Give him a break. Sure he has a lot to learn but the kid makes plays.

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I trashed him, I didnt see anything special.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

He's good at running for his life

StaceyO likes this.
  8. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

was I WAY off?

first of all, i wrote this before the game:

second of all, just looking at total offense, Manziel DID do just as good as Cam Newton did against us.... both put up 303 yards of total offense on us...and being that Manziel accounted for 74% of his team's total offense against us, while Cam Newton only accounted for 58% of his team's total offense against us, you could say Manziel had the much tougher job putting up those 303 yards on us

to give you an idea of how impressive Manziel was against us:

in the last 21 games, only two TEAMS have been able to put up more yards of total offense than Manziel did BY HIMSELF against us: West Virginia and Bama in the BCS Title Game

and Manziel is still on pace to finish #1 in SEC history for most yards per game of total offense in a single season, and he is in really good shape to beat both Tebow and Newton in that regard (who are #5 and #9 in SEC history). Note: I'm not saying he's better than Tebow or Newton, I'm just saying he's in good shape to beat both of them when it comes to yards of total offense per game

What about the 3 INTs he threw against us doesn't that mean he sucks?

Nope. i just went and looked at the college stats of every First Round pick QB since Matt Ryan, and you'd be surprised how many times they have thrown 3 or more INTs...among those is Ryan Tannehill, who threw 3 INTs against us in the Cotton Bowl (in his 2 years as aTm QB, he threw 3 INTs against 4 teams: 2010 LSU, 2011 Oklahoma St, 2011 Oklahoma, and 2011 Texas) Note: I'm not saying Manziel will be a First Round pick QB (he's too short)

as a passer, Manziel is currently #15 in the NCAA and #2 in the SEC with 279.4 passing yards per game (he threw for 276 against us). he's #1 in the SEC in pass attempts and is boasting a passer rating of 144.51 (which would be 97.21 using the NFL QB rating system). against Florida (the #4/#7 defense), he completed 23-of-30 (76.7%) with zero INTs. he can pass. he's not just a runner (although, as a runner, he's still #1 or #2 in the SEC in every category)

9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Good gawd dude, please stop. Only points count. Its not fantasy football. Dude is a special player but its way too early to make him king. Pump the brakes Sally.

StaceyO likes this.
  10. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Alright, who do you think is currently the best offensive player in the SEC, the current fore-runner for SEC Offensive POY?

I would think pretty much everybody thinks Manziel would be #1

however, my favorite non-LSU offensive player to watch is Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson (and looking up some stats on him, turns out Patterson is currently #2 in the SEC in all-purpose yards per game with 137.9 ypg and #1 in the SEC and #2 in the NCAA in kickoff return average with 34.75)