8/6 Republican Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Aug 5, 2015.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

What?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Look, Common Core doesn't eliminate "the old way" it just introduced new ways. The problem is that the old formulas don't make children think about the arithmetic, they just do the routine and get the number, which is fine for adding and subtracting. But todays students must master algebra and calculus ever earlier and they must not only be able to do math they must understand what they are doing. They will not be scribbling on a Big Chief pad and "carrying" "borrowed" numbers to another column. Their math will be creating algebraic formulas in spreadsheet cells. The new ways of calculating will better equip them for advanced mathematics because they understand it better.

Read this http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...e-math-problem-making-the-rounds-on-facebook/

And advanced math is here to stay and it doesn't matter if Common Core is part of it or not. Teaching evolves and those students who do not evolve go extinct.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    LaSalleAve likes this.
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I've been telling people since the Common Core argument began, Common Core sets targets for learning, it does not specify teaching methods. All they want to do is point to that stupid internet example.

LaSalleAve likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It doesn't make sense to complicate a simple process. What's needed is to find ways to simplify complicated processes. I'm pretty sure you must have been taught basic math the same way I was. Once you learn it in the first grade you've got it for life. The you can start learning the more advanced mathematics.

5. red55

You didn't understand a damn thing in the article did you? They are not making basic arithmetic more complicated. They are making algebra and calculus easier by starting earlier in teaching them HOW math works not just the rote arrival at a solution.

LaSalleAve likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Do you still do basic calculations the way you were taught in grade school?

7. red55

I do basic calculations in my head.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Right, but using the same techniques you were taught in grade school. You don't have to write it down to do it the regular way.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Since I have 2 kids who are part of the experiment, let me say, it's been a major fail so far and it has nothing to do with their ability to evolve. This process was foisted on schools, teachers, students, and parents just to say it was done. It was not rolled out with any kind of thoughtful or pragmatic approach. Teachers don't understand it, don't know how to teach it. Parents don't understand it, don't have many resources to figure it out. The kids are stuck in the middle but are being measured by it.

My son spend at least 1 hour every day during summer break working the online Khan Academy site and that helped....a little. But the way Common Core is taught, particularly math is stupid and makes little common sense even it's supposed to be common core. Try being ADD and doing that shit.

10. red55

I'm not doing it "the regular way". I taught myself the techniques to arrive at answers without writing down columns of numbers long ago. Now they are teaching it properly and I think it is great. You break things down in to smaller packages and you move the decimal to suit you.