8/6 Republican Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Good for you bringing in dollars. But you missed the point - fraternities are a choice, like having a car or not or living in Highland Village or a dorm. The fraternities are not costing the schools money. We had volunteer programs, leadership training, mentoring and meetings that were run under Robert's Rules of Order. It is disingenuous to say that it adds nothing to students education. Get rid of intramural sports and the chess clubs as well if you want to go down that line of thinking.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They are costing the student's money. The plan is to encourage smaller schools to offer cheaper educations. Students have to make many choices. If daddy is rich, they can participate in lots of stuff. But middle class families end up borrowing money to pay for college--including the choices their kids make. Face it, big universities offer a lot more than an education and the costs are skyrocketing.

Don't be defensive, I'm not knocking frats or any other extracurricular activity. But they are "extracurricular". They are not needed for the degree. I'm saying that all of that costs students money and they are borrowing and using student loans to pay for it. The plan encourages two-year schools to offer good eductions without so many extracurricular expenses, gold-plated dorms and recreation centers, and other amenities that colleges offer to attract students.

Students with money can still spend it on frats, lacrosse teams, social groups, and debate clubs at bigger universities. But the plan offers a chance for students to get two-year associates degrees and certifications free of charge or at low cost by eliminating the superfluous extras. Middle class families need this to educate their kids. And to relieve them of tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt.

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

What @red55 is saying is that fraternities while not an part of school charges they are part of the total cost of going to college like food, room, a car etc. some students may pay for these independent non ciricular costs by using part of their student loan. In that way they are part of the cost of education. Now proper administration of student loans or HRCs freebie would be limited to class and books and other fees directly tied to the school. However as with loans today you can expect the limits to be expanded and/or evaded.

I admit I don't understand how when it was possible to go to school full time and work part time and afford it in the recent past, college costs have risen so much it can't be done today. I know in La the state subsidized colleges much more than today. That the state subsidize education has a long historical pedigree and IMO is a primary function of government.
    There needs to be a balance though and a "free" education above HS isn't in my comfort zone. Part of education is to learn the facts of life and how a mature person must act in a healthy society. Learning there is a cost for everything after one leaves parental protection is one of the greatest life lessons.
    There is no easy out here nor does throwing money at it solve it.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Watch it. Red will say you suck at knowing what he said

Winston1 likes this.
  5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I guess Rand missed the memo about Trump.

It sucks Rand is going down this "Conservative" path. I don't think American gives a shit about Conservatives anymore.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No, what sucks is Americans don't give a shit about conservatives anymore

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Trump said didn't his staff get indicted? Ouch.... 2 of them did, and for breaking campaign finance laws at that. Fuck how hard do you have to want to commit a felony to break laws that are designed to be impossible to break?

8. LaSalleAve

That's because conservatives don't give a shit about Americans anymore. Sorry man you walked into that one I couldn't resist.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Ha, that's rich

Paul knows and loves the constitution better than anyone up there, don't even mention the bitch from the other side that despises the damned thing.

10. LaSalleAve

Which one? There are plenty.

This prob belongs in the other thread because we were talking about voter ID but since you said the bitch I can only presume that means Hillary or Obama, so I'll go with Obama because I've never heard anyone accuse Hillary of hating the constitution yet, in sure it's coming though. Obama said something about doing something about voters rights and I immediately said, "fuck you you fucking idiot". Surely he knows by now everything he says is instantly opposed by the loudest people in America by default. Why say anything, it's just gonna hurt the cause.