8/6 Republican Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Aug 5, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Sounds like the American 40's and 50's when upward mobility wasn't just a myth.

2. LaSalleAve

I pledged but didn't like the life, kind of went my own way after i dropped out of the frat. Still had my same ole friends and partied with them, no charge.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe you should move to Norway and pay those confiscatory taxes

4. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

And that is ok, I didn't have the same old friends to fall back on but would have made new ones if it didn't work for me. I hung out with a couple of guys that left as well and still keep in touch.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It's so easy to forget that those were the times we had no international competition. Companies could raise prices to cover added expense of raises. Read Thomas Friedman's book about the economic impact of the pressure of foreign competition.
    American companies were happy to give what the unions asked for till we ran into the Japanese, Europeans, S Koreans and Chinese. Had they not adapted they would be bankrupt and there would be no jobs. I'm tired of people spouting half accurate garbage.

6. LaSalleAve

Then you must be tired of reading your own diatribes on economics. I think I'll take the word of most economists. Supply side economics DOES NOT WORK. Maybe you'll trust Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...the-rich-no-longer-works-to-grow-the-economy/

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Thomas Friedman isn't Milton Friedman the supply side guru. He is a columnist for the New York Times covering economics. TF leans a little left of center and isn't calling for lower taxes but reasonable revision that is fairer. He calls for more spending on infrastructure and better focus on education that works.
    His analysis of our problems is spot on and optimism we can surmount them is admirable. I differ with him on details of how to get there but agree on where we are and need to be.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yes they are, at least at LSU where they are on campus, the university owns their lots and occasionally bans them.

A student fee and part of the costs of going to LSU. Being in a fraternity is also part of the costs of going to college for those who choose it. It all adds up but it doesn't add directly to instruction, so they won't be supported by the plan. The idea is to reduce the costs of going to college without dumbing down the education.

Not really. I'm talking about providing space and utilities for the many non-academic groups on campus. Like the African-American cultural center, the creative writing club, honor societies, the Arabic Club, The Australian Rules football club . . . there are hundreds of them and they add to the cost of going to college. Big universities are expected to have them, but smaller schools and community colleges can skip that crap and get grants to educate students cheaply, enabling a better educated workforce that we will badly need in the next century.

I don't know that this is true. Could it be that you're just trying to win an argument instead of having a discussion? :D On the whole, universities have too much administration. The big ones need it, but the small school have too many layers of administration. They don't need all of those vice-chancellors, provosts, vice provosts, executive directors, and such. A chancellor, a provost and some deans should do it for most colleges. But Southern thinks it must have everything that LSU has.

Possibly, but not necessarily. They won't have to process all those fees and tuition, just spend the grant effectively. It's all part of finding the right balance. It can hardly be disputed that America has greatly benefitted from free public high school education. Adding two more years at a cheaper high-school/community college style instead of a more expensive university style may just be the ticket for a lot of people and the nation benefits. Germany is already offering free university educations for some four-year universities. We must keep up with the Joneses.

9. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

So paying rent as an organization that has been present since before you were born is considered subsidized in Red logic? You are subsidized by the same students that choose to attend. Pot meet kettle.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There is no logic at all in this statement. The point you missed is that fraternity costs are part of the expense of going to school that adds nothing to their education. Student take out loans to pay that frat. Many colleges have gotten rid of them altogether. The plan doesn't pay any grants for those expenses since they are unrelated to instruction. It encourages junior and community colleges who don't have those expensive extras. The idea is to reduce the costs of a college education which have become burdensome to middle class familiies.

And BTW, I get no money from student fees. I'm paid 100% on research contracts that I bring in.