8/6 Republican Presidential Debate

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

So what is there about HRC's give away plan that is good? Is it having taxpayers pay for the things you just noted?
    I agree that it will likely be popular with centralist voters. I see it as another dose of opium in the den of government programs that will add only to the debt.

Bengal B likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Already answered. It is in the best interest of the country to educate more people and grow the economy. The same reason we offer free public high school educations. College costs too much. The plan offers incentives for states and universities to reduce costs to get the grants. It promotes community and junior colleges which is where affordable educations are being found today. Baton Rouge Community College is kicking Southern's ass. They are educating 150% of the students for 30% of the cost.

It doesn't force states to comply if they think they have a better way. It offers rewards for those who offer affordable educations. Like TOPS, merit scholarships, pell grants, student loans and everything else, a proper balance point between costs and benefits must be found.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

At the expense of?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Getting rid of things that don't educate, but cost students money. Student recreation centers like the gold-plated one at LSU paid for with student fees, expensive fraternities, and dozens of social programs that cost money but are not really needed. These things drive up the costs of education. The plan won't pay for them.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No, we, our kids and their kids will. I've never seen a rec center or a frat house make a payment on anything. That is shit that is already there.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I think frat houses pay their own way. I don't know for sure. I wasn't a rich kid who needed buy friends by joining a fraternity.

shane0911 and Herb like this.
  7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Frat houses are not subsidized by the university. The student rec center was paid by a separate fee. Social programs are mandated by the Feds mostly. Why did you leave out the additional administrative cost required to keep up with federal mandates? That is a major factor in the rising cost. Don't you think a free education (no it's not free it's paid for by out taxes) will have additional administrative requirements and costs. Schools will have to justify their take oops I means fees the government is giving them.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Norway has free college education. They are a country of slightly over 5 million people ruled by a king and 3 branches of government. Free, well, not quite free. Here are the tax rates they pay

Norway is one of the most heavily taxed countries in the world with a total tax burden of roughly 45% of GDP– almost 4x Hong Kong and nearly twice the US. VAT here is a whopping 25%. Personal income tax rates border 55%. Corporate profits tax ranges from28% to as high as 78%.

9. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

What I find funny is the ones that say you are buying friends all say that is why they weren't in a fraternity. I didn't know but two people when I went to LSU as I was a Navy brat. I went through rush with some guys from the dorm and found a place I fit in with folks of the same interest. I didn't like all of them but some of my best friends were my brothers. Same shit as the high school groupies that go to the same college and ignored other guys in the dorm. What we had that most independents didn't was the power of pooling money. Most of my fraternity brothers weren't rich either, but we had a live band after most home games including Dash Rip Rock and Cowboy Mouth when they were just starting out. I had room and meals for less than the LSU plan. We received NO money from the University and paid property rent but owned the house and paid for all upkeep. You learn to manage a budget and have a blast. We also didn't exclude friends from most functions including South Seas.

KyleK and Winston1 like this.
  10. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

Not an attack on your choice, just trying to give some alternate thinking as it gets old being stereotyped.