2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Tiger_fan, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

The Saints are absolutely killing this draft.

No doubt about it

My mind has been Completely blown at how perfect our draft has been so far....except I'm pissed about losing that 2nd R pick where we could have added Collins or Hunt who both went about 8 spots behind our 2nd R pick we got robbed of by the prick

Also, i will miss Ivory

2. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Sports Illustrated:

Enter Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro....
    a dynamic talent...could do wonders for the
    Saints’ secondary...the Saints addressed a
    weak spot on their roster with a talented
    player...Vacarro’s an excellent player
    and he should bring a lot to the table for a
    Saints team that faces great offense after
    great offense on their schedule.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I hope these people are right about Vaccaro. Keeping in mind, the Saints safety play was the worst in the league last year, he can't help but improve it. But I've always been of the mind that the best pass defense comes from a good pass rush. In the Jim Mora days, pedestrian cornerbacks for the Saints generally put up good numbers, but they benefitted from Jackson, Swilling and co. putting consistent, severe heat on the opposing QB. Receivers will get open on the best secondary, and even average QBs will find them, if given enough time.

fanatic likes this.
  4. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

I think Payton, Ryan, and Loomis all agree that even the most elite secondary will get shredded with no pass rush, but the three of them already think (like a lot of people) that our pass rush is good to go with adding Butler and moving to a 3-4. Now that we have a good pass rush, we have to get good coverage guys so the QB doesn't just shred our D before it's humanly possible for even the best pass rush in the game to do anything

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Dude, I love your baseball PBP, but when you make crap, in your face comments like this one and then proceed to back it up w/ a zillion cut and pasted quotes that are just subjective, opinionated BS, you lose your credibility for me. What a bunch of so called national experts, or just anybody tweeting some opinion, have to say about the Saints first round pick doesn't mean jack as to what will happen on the field and whether that player was the best pick for the Saints. Bottom line, the biggest need for the Saints was DE or DT, and 2 studs were unexpectedly available. It doesn't mean Safety wasn't a need, and Vaccoro wasn't a good pick, its just that given the unexpected fall of 2 studs, many of us are surprised that they stuck w/Vaccoro. If you go back and look at quotes and praise about Malcolm Jenkins when he was drafted, they were stellar, superb. Since you like quotes so much, why don't you go back a few years and give us what was said and lets see if it correlates to on field performance. So, now, after a few years, we will switch gears and try another highly touted safety (and, yes, I realize that MJ was a CB coming out of college).

At least, they picked up some nice prospects in round 3. I would love for them to pick up a back up QB to groom behind CoolBrees, but that's just me. No national experts are advocating that. You are still welcome to quote me on that, though, "PI thinks the Saints should go after a project QB to be groomed behind Brees." Might hold some credibility somewhere.

6. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Guys on Saints radio saying a WR is now our biggest need

7. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

I hated the Jenkins pick, i didn't start warming up to it until he showed up at our training camp and i started hearing good things about him.

I hated the Reggie Bush pick, i didn't start warming up to it until i saw what he could do in a Saints uniform

I think it will be the same for the people that hate the Vaccaro pick

As for pass rush, again, a lot of people think we are already set there with the move to a 3-4 and the addition of Butler. Apparently Sean Payton agrees, and he's the one with the Super Bowl ring, not you, so i don' get how you think you know what's better for the Saints than he does

8. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Here's how Steelers blog, www.behindthesteelcurtain.com, graded the first round

No. 15 - New Orleans Saints - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    Grade: B
    Safety was definitely a need but you
    have to still wonder if they will have a
    0-tech in place.
    (0-tech is NT, which we got in 3rd R)

No. 17 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
    A solid, if not great, pick. Strong
    leadership traits, concerns with size
    and strength at point of attack leads to
    questions about ability to play three
    downs.

No. 6 - Cleveland Browns - Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU
    With the situational pass rush help he
    can provide, Ray Horton's pressure
    defense got better.

No. 5 - Detroit Lions - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    Grade: C
    An alleged defensive coach who's job is
    on the line may want to look at a
    player who can get on the field now.

No. 26 - Green Bay Packers - Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
    Grade: C+
    Versatile big man who can bring
    pressure from a lot of different places.
    Sounds an awful lot like Nick Perry.
    Wait, didn't the Packers draft him?
    Maybe the issue is more that Clay
    Matthews is one of the most one-
    dimensional players in the game and
    his sack-first-last-and-only mentality
    hurts the team. Just sayin'.

9. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Saints radio just made a great point....Saints have a HUGE advantage in this draft, being that our coach was suspended last year, so he got to watch A LOT of college football

10. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Saints radio's first guess is WR. Pick coming up