2011 NFL Draft and Offseason

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Saints sign OT Mike Smith out of Nebraska (6-6, 298, did 24 reps in the 225 bench press). he missed his senior season last year due to a broken leg, but he started 14 games the year before that as a junior (Nebraska went 10-4), and started 12 games the year before that as a sophomore (Nebrasked went 9-4). as a freshman, he played in 12 games

2. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Saints sign OG Carl Johnson out of Florida (6-5, 361, did 25 reps in the 225 bench press). some had him projected as high as 4th round. he started 11 games last year as a senior, and started 14 games as a junior, and he started 8 games as a sophomore (he played in every game as a soph). as a freshman he played in all of Florida's games but 2. for his career he has 33 starts and played in 50 games

out of high school he was a Parade All-American, US Army All-American, Rivals 5-star, Rivals100 (#28), Rivals #3 OG, Scout 5-star (#6 OL)

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Saints sign WR/kick returner Michael Galatas, who reportedly ran a 4.25 forty at his pro day at 5-8, 175 (Trindon Holliday ran a 4.21 forty at the combine at 5-5, 166). there is video of it on youtube. Galatas also did 14 reps in the 225 bench press

Saints free agent WR Galatas is St. Tammany Parish product | NOLA.com

he is Millsaps' all-time leader in receiving touchdowns, kickoff return touchdowns, and kickoff return yardage. he was named the conference Special Teams Player of the Year for the last 3 straight seasons

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Sproles is a super great pickup and the safety from Miami may be an up and comer, but a lot of the undrafted FA's look like camp bodies. Maybe one or two of them will stick as projects. I'd still like to see a top notch LB and another pass rushing DL/DE.

5. tboy

tboy Founding Member

So would I. Defense, not offense has been our weakness. Hopefully Casillas will live up to the potential the coaches see in him and help solidify at least one OLB spot. What is it with LSU and the Saints, the LB position always seems like a challenge. At least we have Vilma.

6. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Hopefully Cameron Jordan will sign today. There's a few first round picks who have yet to sign (including a few DEs) and they're all clustered together. The dominoes should start falling and a deal may get done today.

I like we we're doing on the line just a little worried about the depth. Hopefully additional height and speed (on the line) will help the secondary increase turnovers like the '09 season.

I would love to add a stud linebacker (so would the other 31 teams) but I think this group can be pretty good. If nothing else an improved line and a strong secondary should make these guys look pretty decent. I just hope we can remain healthy so Williams can have unlimited options.

There are teams with more talent on defense but I think Williams can do more with less. He's finally molded this team to his liking so I'm hoping for big things this season.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Signed Fabian Washington, free agent safety from the Ravens. He sounds excited to be coming here. Sounds good.

8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Thought he was a corner.

9. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Yes. Corner. Sorry.

1 person likes this.
  10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Bobby's Recap: Sproles Is The Real Deal - WWL - AM870 | FM105.3 | News | Talk | Sports

Stinchcomb hopes to be healthy this fall | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

Kristian

Top pick Jordan thrown into deep end on 1st day | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

Jenkins uses his smarts | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com