2010 NFL Draft and Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by pjnchamps, Jan 25, 2010.

1. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

NFL pro day news on Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, more - NFL - SI.com

2. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

I wonder what Mickey Loomis has planned for the draft, free agency, and potential trades.

The NFC South has been quiet thus far and that seems to benefit the Saints as they had the least number of holes to fill. I can't imagine Tampa Bay contending for the division and don't think Carolina will either...even though they finished strong.

Atlanta seems to have the best shot but so far they've only added Dunta Robinson. I'm not sure he will have much success against Drew Brees and the deep receiving corp of the Saints.

I don't believe this year's draft will be enough for the Bucs, Falcons, or Panthers to overtake the Saints for the division so Loomis may be taking his time to see what's available.

Releasing Grant was inevitable and losing Bell would not be a significant blow as I believe they want Hamilton to see more action. I don't really want to lose Hargrove but an extra pick in a deep draft may be good to add depth or combine to trade up for an impact player.

Loomis may think he has enough time to add a LB, DE, or DT after cuts are made or even before the trade deadline. He appears to have many options and only has a few positions that need upgrading in order to make another run this season.

If they win the division (which I believe they should be favored), they'll play a home game in the playoffs. If so, at worst they would have to win back to back games on the road to make the Super Bowl.

So far I like our chances. I know everybody wants a quick fix or a "big-name" signing but it seems to me Loomis may be holding all the cards and is just waiting to make a move after somebody flinches.

3. pjnchamps

4. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Updated: March 16, 2010, 9:12 PM ET
    Source: Bell agrees to Eagles deal

By Adam Schefter
    ESPN

For the first time this offseason, a restricted free agent has reached agreement on an offer sheet with another team.

Saints restricted free-agent running back Mike Bell signed a one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles, and a league source said it's worth $1.7 million, includes $500,000 guaranteed and could be worth over $2 million if he hits his incentives.

The Saints will have seven days to match the offer sheet. If they decline, Bell becomes Eagles property without Philadelphia having to surrender any draft-choice compensation.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

5. pjnchamps

If they get the Bell that played the beginning of the year they will be getting a good back to go along with LeSean M.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Looks like Lynell Hamilton will be getting more carries next year...

7. pjnchamps

Justin Vargus in for a visit

8. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

There's no way Scott is that fast.
    I'd love to use the stopwatches used at lsu's pro day to get my time. i'd probably run a 4.6 with their clocks! :) And i'm 45 with a bad groin.
    Is that TMI? :)

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Did I see on the tube that Pacman came in for a visit?

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not surprising news but the Saints will not match the Eagle's offer for Mike Bell.