2009 Saints Thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 12, 2009.

1. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Exactly. He's our top priority this offseason. Hopefully they have a handshake deal in place, but you always got to worry when good players are allowed to hit the open market and get lots of money thrown at them.

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

We could probably afford help in the 2ndary if we can somehow get Deuce to restructure his contract or cut him. I LOVE Deuce McAllister and can't speak highly enough about him both on and off the field....but business is business. We could definitely trim some fat contractually to free up enough space to make us a bit more comfortable salary cap wise.

3. DarkHornet

According to ESPN, the Saints are currently over the cap going into 2009, so they'll have to cut Deuce just to GET to the cap. They will have to cut in several areas to get enough wiggle room to get a free agent or two. Then of course, we don't know how much it will cost to keep Vilma, and he's priority one. The Saints will have to find value this offseason, so don't look for any big name acquisitions.

I think we've made the biggest splash we're going to make already by the hiring of Gregg Williams. I'm hoping they find a good FS, CB, or OLB in the first round this year, because I think that's our best shot for help.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-8-49/Hot-Button--NFC-South.html

4. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

5. Cajun Sensation

Wow. That would leave us with some pretty shotty DE's, dontcha think?:grin:

6. DarkHornet

I don't think your solution is far from what's best. I don't think you'll see Smith and Grant cut, however. I still have some confidence in Smith, though I'm ready to give up on Grant. How bout this... let's not take any more Georgia D-lineman in the first round?

7. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I love Deuce and I don't want to see him go, but I think that $7million in salary cap money will win out i think.

8. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I just noticed that Shockey's salary is not listed on the salary cap list.

9. Cajun Sensation

Maybe we should start by cutting Shockey. He sucks. Seriously. Not to mention he is a drug addict (prescription pills).

10. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I really would not mind if he got the axe. He is hurt more than he plays and he still can't seem to keep his attitude in check.