~2008 Lady Tiger BB Recruiting~

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Lprimo, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

Ayana Dunning
    http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=209&p=8&c=1&nid=2517397

Quote from Dunning;

"As for LSU, Dunning is excited that Van Chancellor is at the helm because of his experience coaching in the WNBA. She aspires to play professionally. “I’ve always been a big fan of LSU since Simone Augustus first got there,” Dunning said."

Here's the others that are considering LSU, Van C has alot of ground to make up on these girls, But if anyone can do it...it's Van. Most of these girls have talk about WNBA dreams, Van can show them his rings...and close the deal.

April Sykes
    http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=209&p=8&c=1&nid=2515265

Shekinna Stricklen
    http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=209&p=8&c=1&nid=2744409

Ashley Gayle
    http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=209&p=8&c=1&nid=2004103

2. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

Stricklen has verballed to Tennessee for 2008.

Here's another list of possible interests for the class of 2008:

http://hoopgurlz.com/players/top/2008?op0=%3D&filter0=&op1=OR&op2=OR&op3=OR&op4=OR&filter4%5B%5D=544

With Tyra White being released from her LOI, LSU has 10 schollies for the next recruiting class. lI would suspect that a combination of true frosh, jc players, and possibley international players could be called to fit the bill. It sounds like a big order but hightower and Phillips are a good nucleus around which to build. If Sykes can be brought in, she'll start from day one.

3. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

4. swampmamma

swampmamma Founding Member

I'm glad to hear April Sykes is still interested. It would be wonderful to have her. My fingers are crossed with so many scholarships available next year. I hope our two new assistants are pounding the pavement!
    There are NO fans as fun as ours!!:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  5. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

6. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

The five returning players for 2008 cover the gamut of players.

Eason is a combo guard who will probably handle the point.
    Graham is a combo guard who could handle the ball but is probably more of an off-guard.
    Hightower is a wing.
    Phillips is a power forward.
    Morris is a power forward.

Recruiting priorities are point guard(s), center (s), wings. I could see Van searching the jc ranks for a ready point guard and center but also trying to bring one in from high school ranks to learn the job.

Of the prep prospects:

Sykes fills the role of wing. She can create her own shot off dribble and has a variety of moves on offense.
    Dunning is a center.
    Gayle is a power forward/center.
    Jones is a forward.
    Barrett is a power forward.

There are a few others LSU is looking at but these are the big names.

7. geauxgrrl

geauxgrrl Freshman

One good thing is we will certainly be able to tell our recruits that they'll get PT... I think year after next could be a rough year for our ladies...losing White is huge...very few, if any, successful teams have been made from JUCO players...players need to be in a school's system for a couple of years to really shine unless you're Seimone; plus, there's often discipline problems with JUCO players as they are older and set in their ways...I can't say I'm as sold on Van as our coach at this point, esp., since he didn't close the deal with White, but I love our team and Coach V will be judged not only on his coaching but on his recruiting ability...which is the lifeblood of any program...A shout out to Swampmamma!:rofl:

1 person likes this.
  8. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

Looking at LSU's own history:

There was a not too previous period when LSU's had a mass exodus from the program and a need to put bodies in uniforms. That was 1995-1996. Slightly different circumstances in that LSU was coming off a 7-20 record (1-10 SEC) and a first round loss in the SEC tourney. The Tigers were also graduating Cornelia Gayden (who is still in the top 10 in all-SEC scoring average). Six other players left that team (2 due to graduation).

Heading into 1995 the team featured:

True frosh Latasha Dorsey - who would become the third LSU player at the time of her graduation to score 1000+ points, and record 300+ assists and 200+ steals

5 JC/CC transfers including Pietra Gay, Elaine Powell, and Toni Gross.

The 1995 team went (21-11) and to the WNIT. In 1996 - and with the arrival of true frosh Katrina Hibbert - the Tigers went 25-5 and made it to the Sweet 16.

The 1997 team didn't have the JC/CC transfers but did have true frosh Marie Ferdinand, Angela Crockett, and April Brown....this wasn't recognized as a highly ranked recruiting class by Blue Star but after their frosh season (WNIT berth) they started LSU on the current string of consecutive NCAA appearances.

The current LSU program is in a better place now because of the foundation that the transfers helped to put into place.

1 person likes this.
  9. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

Shenise Johnson, ranked #8 overall in Hoopgurlz 2008 rankings, has LSU, Georiga, Syracuse and BC in her top 4.

10. swampmamma

swampmamma Founding Member

I hope to God we're going after some 4 and 5's, especially 5's. We're gonna have guards galore, but to compete, we need some serious size and strength after Big Syl and Ashley Thomas are gone. I hope these new assistant coaches are burning it at both ends. We'll be hurt by Gail and Mickey in Austin, but that hurts Baylor (he,he) worse! I'm still bummed by Tyra White not coming to LSU, but I'm trying to move on. It makes me a little scared about Van, to be honest......