2006 MLB Awards Thread

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Oct 25, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

My predictions:

AL MVP....Jeter
    NL MVP....Pujols

AL CY......Santana
    NL CY......Hoffman

AL ROY....Verlander
    NL ROY....Zimmerman

AL MOY...Leyland
    NL MOY...Girardi

2. islstl

I think this is one of those years where a relief pitcher can snag the award for Cy Young in the NL. I hope Oswalt gets it, since he came up so big the 2nd half of the season for the Astros (9-1 down the stretch). Carpenter ended the season horribly, and I would be pissed if he got the award. Webb fell on his face just as hard, and isn't deserving of it either, although he did have the most wins out of the 3.

Papelbon would have won the AL ROY, had he not gotten injured the last month of the season. He was on pace for 40 plus saves with an ERA near 1.00.

Pujols deserves the MVP based solely on the 3 run homer off Cla Meredith the last week of the season. He basically saved the Cardinals season in one swing. That's what MVPs do.

Girardi, if he wins, will be the first manager fired that won the manager of the year award (correct me if I am wrong).

Santana and Leyland are the only sure bets.

3. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

I agree on everything except NL CY. I think Carpenter will get it. Also, I think Hanley Ramirez stands a chance at winning NL ROY (But if I had to bet, I'd say Zimmerman.) Too bad Ethier went ice cold down the stretch.

4. islstl

Yeah Ethier really went bad.

So many rookies....MLB's future is in good hands.

If Hoffman doesn't get it and they give it to a starter (which is the norm), then my bet is on Oswalt. He deserves it most. The reason why I think they may bypass a starter for NL CY is because the best record is only 16-8, and nobody has a strikeout total that is outrageous (250+). I think Randy Johnson went 17-9 one year that he won Cy, but had well over 300 strikeouts.