#12 Marques Colston

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by CajunPunk, Dec 5, 2006.

1. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I just saw a piece on Cold Pizza where they interviewed him. They said that 30 WRs were selceted before him where he was selected at #44 in the 7th round.

You know, if the scouts and GMs across the league could look into the future and see what he has become, they would spend their #1 pick on him. No doubt.

Which leads to what I've always wondered. How many people walking around today never pursued an eventual successful career in sports? Or what about those that did but got looked over (i.e., Colston)?

Any of you guys wondered that about your high school friends?

Oh well... just me pondering things.

Thank goodness the Saints were smart enough to take a chance late in the draft.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I heard the Saints were willing to take him much earlier in the draft, but that they thought nobody else knew about him & were going to wait. Worked out pretty nicely for them.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

I played Corner, and returned kicks in High School. Best times of my life, but wasn't blessed with anywhere near the amount of talent necessary to go any farther. Leanred that when I got absolutely torched by South terrebonne's recievers for most of that one particular friday night. Then the following week against Catholic High BR, I got crushed on a punt return. I kinda figured I wasn't ready for the next level.

4. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Yeah, sadly, I never got the opportunity to play high school football. I honestly believe I would have been good, maybe not good enough to be a star player, but more of a contributor. My grandfather played semi-pro football, coaching football younger in his life, and my dad played football all up through high school, so it's in my blood. My heart to play the game, still, is burning. I think when I get to Louisiana, I will try out just so I can get someone to tell me I suck so I can get closure. :hihi: :(

But I was watching Leno last night and L. Tomlinson was on. He said that in high school he wasn't heavily recruited at all because he played fullback. TCU gave him a scholarship in his senior season (I think that's what he said) and the rest is history. Amazing.

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I've read from multiple sources that Colston didn't get along with the Hofstra coaching staff, and they were pretty much bad-mouthing him to teams in the league. I THINK it was Peter King and maybe Rich Gosselin. If not them, then similarly reputable NFL reporters.

Combined with lacking huge measurables and lack of collegiate pedigree, it's easy to understand why he would drop. Normally a guy like that needs to be blazing fast to get noticed (e.g. last year's Jerome Mathis out of Hampton -- and he's worked out pretty well too!)

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Or Randy Moss from Marshall.

7. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Very irritated but happy in the same way.

I'm irritated because I ordered a great Colston Jersey to wear this weekend for the Saints- Cowboys game, but it is on backorder. I'm flying in for the game and wanted to sport my Saints gear in front of all my old dallas friends.

Guess I can't be too irritated because it being on backorder means Colston's jersey is either a) underproduced or b) overpopular or c)both. I hope it's just b.