Wifi Extender

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by BAY0U BENGAL, Dec 28, 2016.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I have a linksys router and a compatible extender. We live in an old, very narrow, but very long house, My router is in front bedroom, got tired of having problems in kitchen, so I got an extender. For some reason, my phone does not sense the xxx-ext network (the one coming off the extender) but when I move back up front, by regular network returns. Before the Linksys set up, I bought a generic, but expensive extender and was pretty disappointed with results.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Around here that's known as a shotgun house. Usually found in ghetto areas and occupied by non-whites

HalloweenRun likes this.
  3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

In New York they are brownstones and highly sought out by martians

HalloweenRun likes this.
  4. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Around here we call em trailer houses.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

What router are you using now? If it is not fairly new, I would forego the range extender and replace the router. The Netgear R6400 has range that is quite a bit longer than any router more than a couple years old. Additionally, it is really fast on wifi. It sells for around $120 and is worth every penny. They have other, more expensive ones with even better range, but you should get about 140 feet with this one.

6. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

A router upgrade is probably needed. I think it's the Motorola surfboard. I also read where you can tweak it, even though I have no idea what I'm doing. My sister has an extender and says it works great, but it's probably time to replace the router

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

We use U-verse at my church. I setup the router then I mentioned 10 feet from our U-Verse router and was able to get a stronger and faster signal more than 50 feet further than I could with the U-Verse router. The r 6400 also delivered much much faster Wi-Fi. I got 3.4 megabits per second on the U-Verse router and 13.6 megabits per second with the Netgear

8. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

As an alternative to a WIFI extender, which I'm not sure I know anyone who has had much luck with those, try a powerline adapter. I use them in my house and they work wonderfully. You get a pair of them, and plug one into the wall by you router and run an ethernet cable to it. Then, you plug the other one in in your shop or wherever and either plug another router into it and configure it as an extension of your wireless network, or plug whatever device you check your mail on directly into it if it has an ethernet jack.

Anyway, it uses the electrical wiring as connection between the two points and works really well (for me). The only problem I have noticed is if you get a cheaper brand, it can be susceptible to things like power surges, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...aps&field-keywords=powerline+ethernet+adapter

9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I saw one of those and wondered how well it would work. Thanks for that. I'm going to look into that. Thanks for the link broski

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I have used this in the past and they work great...only issues I came across was that there was no way to get them to work to my guest house. given no shared walls with shared wiring.