Who should really be in the BCS Title Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerJag, Dec 27, 2007.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Let me guess, next Kcal is going to show up snickering, saying "I agree."

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

actually you're probably a lard ass but i will agree with the whining part.

3. yi ni

yi ni Founding Member

OSU shouldn't be playing for the NC. LSU, USC, Oklahoma, and Georgia would all be able to beat OSU in that game.

4. MrCodeDude

MrCodeDude Founding Member

The same way that Florida was going to slaughter Michigan? The same way that the 2002 Buckeye squad, the 2005 Texas squad and the 2006 Florida squad had no chance in their NC games?

If Ohio State beats LSU in the NC, they have beaten one team in your list, does that mean that the remaining three would still be able to beat OSU?

The only good thing about the Rose and Sugar Bowls is that they pretty much assure there will be no split National Championship this year. How can any voter legitimately choose between USC and Georgia if they don't want to vote for the winner of Ohio State/LSU?

5. Berge

Berge Founding Member

I think Notre Dame should be in the Big Game.....

That is all.

6. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

I remember Coach Miles discussing LSU's scheduling. He was pretty clear about not wanting a Virginia Tech type game early in the season. I remember how much Texas playing Ohio State early in their Championship season helped them with their season. It's obvious playing Virginia Tech early got us into the BCSCG this year. I'm wondering if it is to our advantage to schedule a BCS school early would be a good thing with where our program is today. It seems if you win the game it helps you and if you lose the game it also helps with your strength of schedule. I don't think VT is ranked as high as they are without the LSU loss on their schedule. Any thoughts?

7. Pheasant

Pheasant Founding Member

Great post, I agree.
    They shouldn't even have to play for it...they should just be given the trophy.

VT might have had a shot at the title without the LSU loss...but without the LSU game their schedule would be a complete joke.
    tOSU in 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 are the best examples I can think of about what can happen when scheduling these games:

In 2005 tOSU plays #2 (3, maybe) Texas early, loses a close one. A second loss to PSU ends the season with two losses, to the #2 and #3 teams in the country...BCS bowl win to follow.
    In 2006 tOSU plays #2 Texas (overrated, it turns out) wins big, wins out, goes on to bring fraternity paddle to tank fight in BCS title game.
    In 2007 tOSU plays Washington (who was looking like a better team when the game was scheduled than when tOSU got to the stadium) wins big, goes on to lose 1, make BCS title game, be called biggest fraud in the history of #1 rankings.
    In 2008 we play USC early...who knows what will happen...other than tOSU getting blown out because USC is the best team in the country when they don't play Stanford at home.
    So basically it can go either way...you schedule a team and hope they're good, but not so good you can't beat 'em.

For LSU, on the other hand...you have the perceived superiority of the SEC, plus the SECCG, so scheduling a BCS conference opponent doesn't make as big of a difference in your schedule, making the possibility of a loss more trouble than it's worth. The problem is that the SEC could be perceived as weaker than other conferences (come on, now...it's possible) down the road. Maybe the Big 10 and Pac 10 will have added CCG's by then. That's when tOSU playing Virginia Tech could get them into the title game over the LSU team that played Tulane.

1 person likes this.
  8. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

I get what you are trying to say, but think the logic is goofy. Without LSU on their schedule, Va Tech's season probably looks a lot like Ohio State's, and those two are probably playing for the title.

Those big early season non-conference games are tough, b/c teams often don't find their identities until midseason, due to high player turnover. Scheduling those games is a huge risk, as it's impossible to know years in advance if your team is going to be ready for such a game.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Agreed that each of those teams has the ability to beat OSU. But it should alos be noted the OSU could beat any of those teams as well.

10. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

It's easy to say that a particular team (USC, GA, OU, etc.) is better than LSU/Ohio State, but I don't see much of an argument that they are more deserving.

Ohio State has the best record among the major conference champions (better than everyone but Kansas, overall, and Kansas didn't beat anyone).

LSU has no more losses than the rest, played a brutal schedule, lost their games in OT, and has the most marquee wins.