Which mini helmet do you prefer? Schutt vs. Riddell

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DarkHornet, Feb 3, 2004.

?

Which Mini Helmet do you prefer?

1. Schutt

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Riddell

36 vote(s)
    83.7%
  1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Thanks Mesquite, as soon as I read that I could not stop quoting that movie.....

Its got its own weather system....

Heeed... Pants. Now !!!!!.. Just greatness....

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Re: Re: Re: Which mini helmet do you prefer? Schutt vs. Riddell

On my official full size Schutt helmet, I have a RB style face mask--same as Justin Vincent and Corey Webster. Looks great!

3. LSUTigers1404

LSUTigers1404 Founding Member

The Ridell looks a lot better. The facemask is the biggest difference between the 2.

4. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

They had a Cannon helmet for sale on Ebay.

Here's the picture --

[​IMG]

And, here's the sale --

Billy Cannon Helmet on Ebay

I saw the sale before it ended and wanted to come back and bid on it, but I got EXTREMELY busy and wasn't able to bid at the last minute. It's a shame, because I was planning on bidding $300.00, so I might have won it.

Finally, here's a little story about how I got the helmets worn by Craig Nall and Rohan Davey in the Independence Bowl --

White Helmet Story

5. LSUfan636

LSUfan636 Founding Member

I love the white helmet, I think they would look real sharp with the purple and/or gold jerseys.

Here is a pic of the gold jerseys....

6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Hey LSUBud -

Great story!

Now about tracking down one of those yella jerseys -

I saw one on e-bay that went for $150 or so about 1-1/2 ago..

Am still looking for one....I like those too.

As far as the Cannon helmet, have you ever seen a mini single bar version?

7. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Great picture of the Gold Jersy, when was that taken?

BTW, Bayarea, you are beefy! Did you play?

8. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Naw - believe it or not I was 6' 180lbs WITH NO SPEED in high school - I really grew once I got out...

9. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

On the jerseys - The players get to keep the bowl jersey they wear. I saw Josh Reed's 2001 Sugar Bowl jersey for sale on Ebay a little over a month ago. The seller had a "story" about the jersey. He said that the players are assigned 3-4 jerseys (depending upon position) and that the one for sale was one of the "extra" jerseys. BTW, the Josh Reed Sugar Bowl jersey went for over $550.00.

That's the first I had heard about the "extra" jerseys. I had asked the guy at the Gift Store about the jerseys back in 1998 and he was the one that told me that the players get to keep their bowl jerseys (as a perk for participating). They don't get to keep the helmet (usually they use the same helmet so they normally don't have such a novelty status - like the White Helmet). He didn't say anything about the "extra" jerseys.

I've never seen any "official" or "authentic" gold jersey for sale ("extra" or otherwise). I would LOVE to get Nall's and Rohan's "extra" gold jersey to go with the white helmets (given that they were both RS freshmen that year - they probably only got one jersey anyway). I thought about writing Rohan and Craig to see if they have the jersey and, if so, whether they'd be willing to sell it (I'd promise not to resell it, of course), but I haven't gotten around to it.

I have seen the mini-Cannon helmets, but NOT with the single bar facemask. They usually come with the grey quarterback facemask.

I'm really not big into collecting minis. The only "mini" I currently have is a BLACK Saints helmet that they wore ONCE in a preseason game in 1969.

I really want to get the full size Cannon helmet above. I'm sure that there will be more for sale in the near future - I can't believe they just made that one for the Ebay sale. They're starting to sell MANY of those old "Suspension" helmets with the authentic facemask (Joe Namath's 1969 model is popular, although I'd like to get a Bob Griese 1972 model). So, I have to believe that Billy Cannon's LSU helmet will gain in popularity very soon.

I'd also like to get the "Bert Jones Helmet" (as I call it). I've seen them on Ebay and I'll get one soon (it's the first LSU helmet that I can vividly remember). I will then try to get it signed by Bert Jones as he was the "most popular" Tiger to wear that style. I'm definitely going to get the quarterback facemask.

Here's a pix of it --

[​IMG]

Here it is on Ebay --

Bert Jones Helmet

They also have a mini version of this helmet --

Bert Jones Mini LSU Helmet

The last helmet is one I just recently saw on Ebay. It's an OLD TIME helmet. I'm not sure if I'm going to go after one of these. If I did, I'd try to get Jim Taylor, Y.A. Tittle and/or Steve Van Buren to sign it. Here it is on Ebay --

1950's LSU Helmet

10. Macphisto

Macphisto Founding Member

That gold jersey looks really ugly.

I guess the white helmet is ok, but nothing beats the classic gold ones on the traditional looking white away jerseys.