Whats your favorite Gumbo?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Mar 7, 2008.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

lol, I was out there the other day. Backwoods?...you are like 10 minutes from Tuscaloosa. :grin:

Well, i guess i get your point. ;)

The gulf coast can do seafood. Remember that gump dude?

There are great places but a lot of people are old school and make their own, or catch their own. They have tons of local places and do a great job, only problem is they have awful bread. Trust me, Baton Rouge is a lot worse, you just need to know where you are going. Holla at me next time youre there and Ill point you in the right direction.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I'm a minimalist. Chicken gumbo, no sausage. I make a dark roux in about 20 minutes. Lotsa salt, cayenne, file, parsley, green onions, onions. No special sauce, but it comes out good. I go buy a hen or roaster, have to cut it up myself. That's always a challenge. Wife asks me, "honey, what's this piece, or what was it close to when you cut it off?". I always say, "hell, I don't know... If you must identify your chicken pieces, you're welcome to cut this sucker up yourself". :) Then she just eats it and its good... :hihi:

3. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

It's a beautiful campground in daylight but that road out of there is somethin else at night. We're talkin Sasquatch territory combined with Camp Crystal Lake. We'll be there whenever LSU is in Tuscaloosa. Couldn't make it in '08 due to work issues though.

Now that I recall, the gumbo with beef sausage might have been in '04 because I made a really good gumbo for the '06 trip. I think gradin99 and batgirl partook of that one.

Yes, partook is a word.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

fo sho

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I also like a simple chicken and sausage gumbo with a dark roux. I ,like Hatch, often get the pork sausage from Rees St Market in Pont Breaux. Kirk Martin on Beau Bassin also makes a good fresh sausage. If I'm in a hurry, I like boneless chicken (white and dark meat). If I've got all day to cook, I use hens.

I don't like to be within a hundred yards of okra being cooked.

Prejean's Restaurant makes an excellent duck/andouille gumbo.

7. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

My Mom's seafood gumbo...gotta be the best in the world, with, of course, a side of potato salad.!!!:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm that way about liver. Dirty rice made with liver is good dog food as far as I'm concerned.

But I love that okra in gumbo . . .

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Strange..to me dirty rice without liver is nothing more than Hamburger Helper. :wink:

10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Liver adds that extra flavor to it, but I could do without it as well. BTW, nice hijack.:wave: