Whats your favorite Gumbo?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Mar 7, 2008.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

my grandmother, I have never tasted better.
    But she makes a roux and file' gumbo. Which some people call a brown gravy gumbo not the tomato kind.

But its full of sausage, chicken, king crab legs, cooked shrimp, and dried shrimp(which nobody really uses anymore), sometimes she will put turkey necks in the pot and sometimes okra(which I dont really like).

but this is the best way to me. I had some when I went home the last time and I was trying to figure out a way to freeze it to get it on the plane, but that didnt happen.

So how do you like your gumbo?

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Mine is better than anyone in my family makes, and my mother is from New Iberia. But they are just probably being kind.:grin:

I make a dark roux, and as to the meats, it really depends on who is going to eat it. I like seafood gumbo with oysters but many people don't care for seafood gumbos so I make it rarely. My favorites to make for games(or any other time) is just a simple chicken and andouille or duck and andouille. I find that the quality of the andouille is critical to the flavor and can make or ruin the gumbo. I have yet to find a decent producer of andouille in Houston, so I generally order it or drag it back with me.

I do like okra in my gumbo, but again, some people take issue with it, so it's hit or miss with that. Also made an alligator gumbo for the Florida game. That one did not make it to sundown.:lol:

3. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Since I will be meeting up with you and the family next season for some games I like all of it and okra also! Really I don't care!

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I like chicken and sausage gumbo best, but a good seafood gumbo is pretty damn good. I don't care for the sweep-the-kitchen type of gumbo as much.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I like seafood the best. The others are alright but I would rather have that meat in jambalaya than in gumbo. I dont really eat any other kinds.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

most often i make chicken and sausage. sometimes will just stay with those two meats and sometimes i also add oysters to it. (my preference is with the oysters.) i also like just duck and oyster.

only ocassionally will i make seafood gumbo, but that is because i am in a wasteland for being able to get good seafood.

i make with a dark roux and no okra. i dont mind okra, but just prefer without.

like the dude, i drag sausage back from louisiana with me when i make driving trips. whenever i drive instead of fly, a trip to the grocery store is a must!!

7. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Spam and mustard greens ! Seriously, chicken and fresh pork sausage from Rees St. Market in Breaux Bridge. Seafood gumbo is a close second. I love okra stewed, fried, boiled (with a little vinegar sprinkled on top) and in gumbo. Its very easy to grow as well.

8. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

My grandmother's chicken & sausage gumbo, very dark and usually with file, sometimes with okra. She was born Loza Smith in Lanse Seau Paille (near Ville Platte). I'm like red, I like the basics. I DO NOT like seafood gumbo but will eat it to be polite or if starving.

The best I've had besides my grandmother's is the gumbo at Kiva's Restaurant, they're at Bocage right now. I don't think it's on the menu but it's awesome.

The Jambalaya Shoppe in Baton Rouge rarely has decent gumbo, they're so inconsistent. You never know if it's gonna be bland, spicy, dark, light, etc. I got so tired of having it different ways that I stopped going.

9. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

Worse gumbo: Dad and I went to Tuscaloosa 3 or 4 years ago and I let him handle the ingredients for a gumbo. He ended up bringing a few pounds of beef sausage and a jar of roux that could have been mistaken for mayo. I didn't know until he started cooking about 7pm on the Friday night before the game. We were at Lake Lurleen in the middle of nowhere, I wasn't even gonna try to find decent sausage and roux in backwoods Alabama.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

try finding any thing decent any where in alabama from my experience. i cant tell you the number of times that in mobile i couldnt find good ingredients for making dinners for greenies family. now when i go there, i stop in br or nola on the way and get what i need and take it with me to mobile.