What happens if USC or Texas loses?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Nov 14, 2005.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Has USC or Texas gotten to the point that they have almost wrapped up a spot in the Rose Bowl even if they lose one of their remaining games? Oklahoma in 2003 lost their last game and still made the BCS title game. I'd really like USC to lose so they could again be exposed as hypocrites when try to point to their body of work for the season when 2 years ago they were crying about being left out.

I think that the media is so much in USC's jock that they could lose one of these games and would still be ranked in the top 2 in both human polls. I could somewhat understand this as they do have a 30+ game win streak. They are #2 in most of the computers and would drop a decent amount but not enough to offset the human polls.

Texas, though, could be in trouble if they were to lose a game this year. I don't think they have the voters respect other than being undefeated. It would be very interesting to see what the voters and computers do with all the one defeated teams if Texas loses.

2. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Everyone on the BCS panel craps in his pants....

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

If Texas loses one, they are out. I'm starting to think USC is still in.

We need for Texas AND Miami to drop one from here on out. And face it, we all want to play USC anyway, don't we?

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

USC would still be in at #2 in the BCS, mostly due to the fact that the pollsters would give them a soft landing after a loss.

UT would be treated much more harshly, falling 4 or 5 spots in the polls, making it impossible to end up #2 in the BCS.

So StacyO is correct, Miami and UT must lose. A USC loss does nothing, especially to a near top 10 UCLA team.

5. tigerworld

tigerworld Founding Member

One of the two will loose usc has a tough couple of games and you can throw out the record book when the two texas teams play. That would make Frans season and would make their season. Also Reggie McNeil win against an undefeatable OU team his freshman season he can go crazy at any moment. I also think that the U will get killed by Fla State. Just a few wild predictions. Maybe LSU tinted glasses but it is a hope for another :crystal:

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If Southern Cal loses they will drop to #2 in the AP.

If Texas loses, they will drop to #4 or #5 in the AP.

If both teams lose, they will stay #1 in the AP. You know they will just say that USC is the best one-loss team in the country. An 11-1 LSU could slip into the title game after the SECCG, just like in 2003.

7. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

no way miami and texas lose... I can see lsu jumping the U if they both win out though... I mean... lsu's body of work is more impressive, and both of their losses are very close losses... fsu has lost 3 now I believe and miami's schedule hasnt been as tough as lsu's.

8. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Problem is Miami's closing schedule is tough, and it will not allow LSU to pass Miami on any given week. Miami's already played their weak part of the schedule.

9. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

If USC loses the last game agains UCLA, I think they will be out of the Rose Bowl. I think the human polls drop them down and the screwy computers will not be able to overcome the polls.

I think it will hold true, EVEN for USC, that the late loss is the worse time to lose.

10. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

What about OU in 03'?