What do you eat when you are sick?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by red55, Oct 24, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've just come off a week-long head and chest cold that actually kept me home all week and kept me from making the Auburn game. Worst cold I've had in decades, it just wouldn't go away.

Anyway, with limited ability to smell and taste, and feeling like hell overall, I didn't have much of an appetite. But a fellow has to eat. A friend brought me some homemade chicken stew that she had made and it was pretty good, but the canned soup I have didn't appeal to me much.

I made my favorite sandwiches, like bacon and tomato, and that didn't appeal to me either. About the only other thing that tasted good to me was some Chinese take out--Kung Pao chicken,extra hot. It was peppery and opened my sinuses up a bit.

What do you eat when you are sick and don't have much of an appetite?

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The wife made a big pot of Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, thats what I'm having today. I do have a crew putting a new roof on my house today.

3. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

I eat Edamame and some kid of spicy food to open up sinuses!!!

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

That's my cure also. I usually get a couple spicy chicken breasts from Popeyes and a couple jalapeno peppers to clear the head and chest. Repeat as needed.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

One of the few things I can eat when I'm sick is a scrambled egg sammich but it must have a dash of ketchup with the mayo.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I never thought about a milkshake, I don't have much of a sweet tooth. But a chocolate malt might have at least been appetizing to me. Got to remember . . .

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Run a pot of water through the coffee maker with 4-5 chicken bouillon cubes in the pot. Once dissolved pour into a cup or mug and drink... always seems to help me recover quicker.

Some nice fluffy brown rice with a little soy sauce and tabasco seems to go down real easy as well.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I eat a lot of garlic. I will generally boil it with some cayanne pepper and then mash it up into some grits.

I also like a good homemade chicken noodle soup. My mom makes the best one ever, and she taught my wife her methods.

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I was sure your reply would include head cheese. I guess garlic grits is the substitute ;)