What about the Mormon thing?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

something tells me the 35% in question are not made up of liberals. Romney will not win this election and, if he doesn't put up a better fight, it could get ugly.

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

And Mitt lies about the statement in itself.
    nice, he is really transparent in trying to score cheap political points, I know I know, both sides do it, but this guy isnt good at it.

not sitting well with his response right now.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/foreign-policy-hands-voice-disbelief-at-romney-cai

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Unfortunately I think you are correct. I believe Rommey's release was off base and well stupid, however I don't like the way US policy doesn't recognize there is a strong Islamist & Jihadist AND tribal element in middle eastern public and political life today. It is violent and has extreme antithapy to western norms. It surges underneath everything that happens in North Africa and the Middle East. Govenrnments are hostage to it (if the don't totally support it). Take the inability of the Libyan government to protect our ambassader or delay in the Egyptian government sending out protection to the US embassy till after the violence subsided. To condem the government is useless BUT to allow such a double standard where militant Islamits can say anything, make calls for violence etc and the targets of their rage cannot call the prophet anything but a saint is NOT acceptable.
    While the use of force in this and other cases is not reasonable, we need to demand these countries hold to international law and precepts. We should penalize them if the can't or won't enforce a civilized state. I believe the US work to change the metric that causes this viloence. Part of the cause is the militant form of Islam that is preached and practiced by these Islamists. We need to recognize it is real and a element of many Arabs' religion. That the growing youth of the middle east have no hope in the future and any means to escape the hopelessness of their situation they turn to this jihadist vision of a perfect afterlife (72 virgins etc) and are easily turned to violence against outsiders. If we don't acknowledge the source of the violence we can never see it changed.

When we see the violence and intolarence become so volatile we should stop military aid to Egypt and Libya (or any other government that allows such violence) and replace it $ for $ with funds to improve the country's infrastructure and SECULAR education. There would of course need to be strict guidelines and controls on this money. For their own good these governments (also Pakistan) need to change the direction these people are taking. The people need hope but more importantlly see the results and share the fruits of progress.

In short we need to see what is happening not through the rose colored glasses BHO (and W) and the current "leaders" have on but with clear eyed understanding and the courage to call a pig a pig.

I don't condone Romney's comment but think the actions we have taken and words we have used in the past have done nothing but added fuel to the Islamist fire.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Also the republican brass are pretty upset with him for his lack of aggressiveness and they are right Jeb Bush would have beat Obama by 5 points.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/mitt-romney-critics_n_1874573.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Mitt Romney and his team will be hit with a merciless barrage of friendly fire in the days after the November election if the presidential race continues its current trajectory and the carping from GOP analysts and strategists the past week is any guide.
    "This is a gimme election, or at least it should be," said conservative talk show host Laura Ingraham on Monday. "If you can't beat Barack Obama with this record, then shut down the party. Shut it down. Start new, with new people."
    Neither the conservative commentariat nor the base for which it sometimes speaks has ever been enamored of Romney, but the man who could hardly break 25 percent during primary season was chosen as the vehicle to drive Obama from office. With polls moving in the president's direction, the Romney campaign continuing to stumble, and Obama outraising Romney for the first time in months, conservatives are wondering if the lemon they bought is enough to finish the race.
    The sluggishness comes just weeks after the conservative movement was brimming with hope over the selection of Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) to be the vice presidential nominee.
    But the wished-for ideological battle has not fully materialized. With shaky poll numbers, the conservative thinking goes, let's at the very least go down with a fight. Invoking the specter of failed Democratic nominee Michael Dukakis, Bill Kristol of theWeekly Standard warned this week, "It's not enough to float like a butterfly. You have to sting like a bee. No sting, no victory."
    John Podhoretz, writing in the New York Post, slammed the Romney campaign's tepid response to its tailspin. "The Romney campaign seems to have settled on an argument that Obama's poll strength is just a post-convention 'sugar high,' as its pollster Neil Newhouse said in a strikingly infelicitous memo," Podhoretz wrote. "It's interesting Newhouse hit on the dismissive description of a 'sugar high' -- because a sugar rush is what Romney's side needs."

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Romney really stepped on his pecker regarding the Libya thing. Americans expect the parties to come together in time of national crisis and stand united against foreigner foes, as the democrats did after 9/11. But Romney has quickly given the appearance of exploiting an international tragedy. The timing is blatantly insensitive. Romney is more interested in scoring political points than mourning the deaths of U.S. diplomats and standing firm behind American diplomatic policies than long predate Obama.

Insta-consensus: Mitt statement a blunder

Mitt's Over The Top Statement a Blunder on the Violence that Killed our Ambassador to Libya !

Mitt Romney’s Ill-Timed Assault on President Obama as Americans Are Killed Abroad

6. Tiger in NC

Well said Winston. The thing that really scares the be-jesus out of me is that a preacher in Florida made a you tube video that was viewed by only 6,000 people in this country and it has this kind of international consequence.

I couldn't agree more that we should cut funding to those who cannot assure our diplomatic protections in their country. While any government cannot totally control their citizens, they should be able to enforce the rule of law and suppress uprisings like this before they have a chance to manifest into something uncontrollable. It's not like they aren't used to masses showing up to chant and throw rocks so they should be well versed in how to quell such events.

7. southerntgr

southerntgr Veteran Member

I don't know why idiots keep posting things on my fb page like I am going to change my vote but has anyone seen this. I might have to get off fb till the election is over to make sure I still have friends with some common sense. It really is Jesus camp (a movie about republicans not Jesus) https://www.facebook.com/WeePublicans
    Are kids today not smart enough to grow up and decide if they want to be republicans or democrats? You now have to groom them.
    Bat shit crazy is all I got.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I disagree. Some preacher in Florida's video did not have a single international consequence. The fact that some crazy ass Muslims like to blow up infidels had an international consequence. Let's place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the attackers. That is where it belongs.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  9. Tiger in NC

stop trying to play "gotcha." I never assigned blame so stop putting words in my mouth.

Ignorance is ignorance whether it spews from the lips of a radical muslim, a hateful baptist preacher or a jewish movie producer with an agenda.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

What?

What?

The us has no position on religion, whether it is deplorable or wonderful to denigrate it is explicitly not the business of government to decide.