Utah hospital nurse is roughed up and arrested by cop for doing her job

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by el005639, Sep 1, 2017.

1. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

2. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I can't put. My disgust into words

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Though the cop was aggressive, he was in the same situation where his supervisor was forcing him to collect the sample. A little bigger than just a lone bull it appears

4. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

the cop said he didn't have probably cause for a warrant. so he would be breaking the law by drawing the blood. A cop much like in the military is not required to follow an illegal directive. His actions and his supervisors are no better than the cops caught planting evidence in Baltimore.

It would have been really easy, to back off and fight the judge for a warrant. they just wanted to take a short cut.

HalloweenRun and Winston1 like this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

A few key points.
    1) The implied consent clause the police claimed had been declared wrong over a decade ago. The police especially those assigned blood collection duty should have known.
    2) The cop on the scene had no obligation to obey an illegal order...see note 1.
    3) There was no excuse for the violence of the arrest.
    This is an example of authorities lack of judgment and ability to give a measured response. It seems they feel that resorting to force is the second step in law enforcement. It should be the last. They had better apologize and hope neither the hospital or nurse take action.

6. BAY0U BENGAL

I'll agree with you on every one except your force continuum evaluation. Although not in this case, because this is an unlawful arrest. But, that's how it goes on a lawful arrest.

LSUfan71 likes this.
  7. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

This is incorrect. Implied consent is still law in Louisiana. A person must first be under arrest for DWI before this is enforced. A person may refuse, if conscious, but implied consent is what allows the State to impose penalties for this refusal. An arrested unconscious person may not refuse.
    RS 32:661

No arrest is necessary, however, for mandatory tests under implied consent for Louisiana drivers operating a commercial vehicle.
    RS 32:414.2.C.(1) The act of operating a commercial motor vehicle shall constitute implied consent to be tested for any trace of alcohol, or controlled substances.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  8. BAY0U BENGAL

Apparently I misunderstood what was posted about implied consent. Yeah, it's still here in MS too. You still need probable cause to suspect a person is under the influence, though.

9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

this was in Utah

10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Dont know all the ramifications of the Utah law but very very poorly handled by the police. The law there and how to handle that situation needs to change.