Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

Maybe he will come and bring his entire defensive staff. Some poster on "The Rant" (inside info) says Miles will cut loose five coaches Monday.
    If that happens we will need someone to coach the bowl game. On second thought that would be a good idea. The new staff would have a month to get acquainted and coach the team prior to next season.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

And Chavis being a LB coach, he could hopefully be the final piece to the puzzle to get both JJones and Telfort, highly touted LBs we are recruiting.

3. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

both holt and bumpas are DC's for head coaches that are defensive minded (i.e. like muschamp for saban). those are the head coaches' defenses, those guys are just running 'em.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I agree.

Say no to Bumpas.

5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I think Tiger nation needs to be filling Miles' email full of requests to go after this guy. I think this would bring a huge spark and benefit to our bowl game. Might even have is looking like a football team within a month.

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I agree. LSU needs to go after a DC who has succeeded despite a weak offense or despite an offensive minded head coach. That's a better test. I liked Muschamp, but Saban was the brains behind that operation.

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I would think that if we brought in a guy like Chavis, the defensive studs we're bringing in would love their opportunities before them at LSU, considering the state UT has been in the last few years, they've for the bigger picture had outstanding defenses, considering their other short comings.
    But if you're a defensive star the chance to play for a great DC and get the chance to be a bruiser would be hard to turn down.

8. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

well you'd never know it b/c of today but au's paul rhodes could be in that discussion if the hammer falls on the plains.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Effective. :lol:

Chavis and Stoops were the first two guys to introduce the zone-blitz to college football. Chavis' defenses are criticized for the DB's playing off the line of scrimmage, favoring giving up small chunks of yards as opposed to opening the field up to deep pass plays. The biggest attribute of his defenses are that they always play hard, they always hit hard and they don't stop until the echo of the whistle.

Spurrier always seemed to have his number, but whose number did Spurrier not have back then? Criticizing him for that reminds me of the Shug Jordan quote about Charlie McClendon getting fired because he couldn't beat Bear Bryant.

"You go by that and they'll have to fire us all."

10. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

John Chavis would be a great choice for defensive coordinator. The Tennessee teams always played great defense. They were always hard hitters and would bring a proven track record of success in the SEC.