Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

:geaux: I was wondering why Rhoads wasn't on the list as well. I still favor Chavis, but figured Rhoads would be considered. Maybe he is. :LSU231:

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I've seen a couple of people say that Rhoads is being considered. But make no doubt that Chavis and Walker are the top 2 talked about, with Robinson probably 3rd.

3. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: What's your take on who may be the frontrunner out of Chavis and Walker? Any ideas/thoughts? I'm thinking it's still looking good for Chavis since there's been nothing announced regarding Clemson. As posted previously, there's no reason for Clemson to keep anything regarding Chavis under wraps. :LSU231:

4. islstl

That was my thought on Chavis, but I read on a Clemson board I joined that they will not announce their DC hire until after their bowl game, which is Jan 1.

So things will progress quickly on/after the 1st. I suspect we'll have a coach in place by the 5th.

5. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I read the same thing in a South Carolina newspaper today, about waiting until their bowl game.

However, the article also mentioned how Clemson would have to fire a coach to get Chavis, which could be a "reason for Clemson to keep anything regarding Chavis under wraps"

Clemson has a glaring opening at defensive coordinator...Swinney is known to have interviewed at least one replacement candidate, former Tennessee coordinator John Chavis, and has said he does not expect to make a hire until after the bowl game, when employed candidates might become available.

Clemson has the maximum number of assistant coaches (nine) allowed by the NCAA, so at least one would have to be let go if a coordinator were hired. And more could be fired depending on whether Swinney or the new defensive coordinator would want to bring someone else on board as well.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/626107.html

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

So they already hired someone when they ley Koenning go?

7. islstl

That's a good question. Why would you hire some other position coach after letting your DC go?

They did talk about this on the Clemson board, about having to let someone go and they were discussing who it probably will be. They even said they have a RB coach.

I have no clue, MLU. I will check the board again.

8. islstl

Here is one post by a Clemson Tiger:

"Should our defense do really,really well against Nebraska.Don't be sur-
    prised to see Blackwell get a strong look"

Blackwell is one of their defensive coaches. West is another coach on the staff that they say may deserve to get a "look".

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Yes, new hires by Dabo include:

Charlie Harbison (this season was defensive coordinator and DB coach at Mississippi State)

Danny Pearman (this season was TE/special teams coach at Maryland)

Those two replaced Koenning and Mike Dooley.

Swinney appears to be playing the hire/fire game above board and intelligently from a numbers standpoint. If he has reached an agreement with Chavis or anyone else, he benefits from recruiting insight, etc., without having to let a coach go before the Gator Bowl. If he adds a new guy too soon, he suffers in preparation for Nebraska.

http://www.charleston.net/blogs/tiger_tracks/2008/dec/12/TigefrNotes/

10. islstl

Says he is gonna end up "somewhere" come Jan 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

He was interviewed on a Knoxville sports radio show this morning. They mentioned LSU and Clemson.