Unofficial Reports: John Chavis New DC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 18, 2008.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

School: Tennessee
    Position: DC since 1995
    Facts:
    -- Top 3 in the SEC in total defense 9 of the 14 years as DC
    -- Currently ranked 7th in total defense in the nation in 2008
    Comments:
    What I like about Chavis is he is the linebackers coach as well. One name comes to mind, Jerod Mayo. Enough said. LSU would benefit from having a coodinator who would build the defense around a solid linebacking corps.

Note: I will be presenting a different candidate for DC over the next 10 weeks of what I feel will be the 10 most viable candidates LSU should take a look at.

2. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

Re: DC Watch: John Chavis

could you also put what style of defense they run?

3. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I like the topic but I don't think Miles will be looking to replace those two.

4. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Agreed...I think it's a moot point. I think they get at least another season due to the little improvement they've been showing.

Whoever our DC is next year, I hope that he/they realize that our talent is built for MAN COVERAGE and make good use of it.

Oh, and I agree with islstl...GET US SOME DAMN LINEBACKERS, PLEASE!!!!

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think they must fix the defensive hemorrhaging this season, or Les will have to find someone who can. But they are almost out of time. This defense was not supposed to be this bad and has enough talent to compete. Some is green talent, yes, but nine games into the season, they should understand what to do better than this. This defense just doesn't know what to do, far too often. It's is the coach's job to get his defense ready to play. Mallory/Peveto isn't getting it done.

If it ain't working then there is no point in wasting more games. Charlie Mac and Gerry Dinardo were both overly loyal to assistants that weren't getting it done. Nick never had that problem and would fire these two the day after the season is over and would have already have a candidate picked out now. I suspect Les is already looking.

1 person likes this.
  6. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Agreed. If Miles does not fix the DC problem it will drag him down like a rusty anchor.

7. clair

clair Rockets

If I had to guess, at the very least, the 2 coordinator system would be ditched and Mallory would do the job alone.

At the very least.

8. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

I agree with Red – there must be a change at the end of the season if the defense doesn’t show a marked improvement in the last two regular season games and our bowl. If we have as much talent as we believe we have, the defense should be much further along with the new starters than it is at this point in the season.

As far as Chavis, many Tennessee fans would have been very happy to see he go somewhere for several years. His career stats may be impressive, but he seems to have problems with certain teams like UF and that never pleased Vol fans.

9. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Chavis is not a good choice. His defenses get burned like toast on the long balls.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You're the 2nd person to say this.

And for the 2nd time, I have yet to understand the logic.

So you have a team of 2 very inept people, let's take one of them away and the other will soon be much smarter for it.

Okay.