Unexpected experiences and Hole in the Wall

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pontius Pilate, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate Veteran Member

restaurants that have surprised you with their food.

For me it would have to be Little Saigon Vietnamese restaurant. The meal was a life changing experience

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Yo Mama in the French Quarter. Lisa and I ducked in this little hole in the wall because it was raining. They were boiling crawfish on the sidewalk and I had to have some.

The night before, we had eaten at Emeril's. It was good, but way expensive. After my crawfish at Yo Mama's, I got a grilled tuna steak, side, and salad. Emeril's cost us about $145, Yo Mama's was about 25 total. The food was better!

This place is a true hole in the wall. To go to the restroom, we had to go through the back alley in the rain to get to the restroom.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Unexpected Experience -- Casamar Restaurant in Ensenada. Best surf and turf in Baja. Cheap lobster and fine steaks. All the Pacific seafood dishes are excellent and very different from Gulf seafood. Nice break from all the traditional Mexican food in Ensenada.

Hole in the Wall -- Grayson's Barbecue on Hwy 71 in Clarence, Louisiana. Off the beaten track, but it has some really, really fine beef brisket and pork ribs. Homemade buns with their sandwiches. And get your orders in early for smoked hams for the holidays, they make hundreds of them.

4. Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate Veteran Member

Honorable mention has to go to Pinettas & Europe Pizza in North Br

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

June's Dunes, Destin Florida. Can't beat the ambiance, the feel of salt air as you sit in a cottage on the beach having breakfast. Not sure if its even there anymore, when we were last there, it was supposed to be torn down to make way for a condo.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Charlotte Plumbers in Rockport, Texas

Stuffed filet of Flounder :thumb:

7. KyleK

8. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

damn i used to love Pinettas.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Kyle, if I remember right that picture of us was taken about this time last year at closing time one Saturday (judging by the blooming azaleas) and was right before we went down to the Brewpub for the extended "Turbodog" extravaganza. :thumb:.

A memorable restaurant experience I had was at Liuzza's restaurant (on Bienville and Telemachus) my senior year in high school. After wrestling practice one day during the week, my friend had his dad's car and we went there. We both ordered onion rings and one of those big frozen schooners of beer. They served us ...even though we were still in our Jesuit uniforms. :hihi:.

Well, the bartender came out of the bar and told us to guzzle our beers and get out of there quickly...and to just come back another day and pay for it. He had gotten a phone call that the cops were on the way. We did exactly that...and the next day there was a blurb in the Times Picayune police report section that Liuzza's was raided by the vice squad and cited for having one of those old time gambling pinball machines with no flippers in a back room somewhere. I'm pretty sure that you could place a bet on the seventh and feature race there too.

We went back about a month later...the bartender saw us walk in...and after we ate we paid at the bar window...he thanked us...and then asked "Oh yea, you guys remember to bring that extra $6.32 ?".

10. KyleK

yep. Spring break last year. Mid March.

For any of you who have not gone to Steve's Cafe, I heartily recommend it. It, to me, is what a cafe should be about. Small town, small building that's been repurposed, everyone knows each other, and really good food from someone with a passion. All this at a fair price. Spending the rest of the day after lunch at the Brew Pub is a plus too!