To Boil or not to boil

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUDieHard, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most Southern states...

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Agree 100%.

Also, I read a year or so ago, that when you wrap ANYTHING in foil, and then heat it, you are really steaming it, not baking or whatever, so i have pretty much gotten rid of the foil.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Technically anytime fire is created, the natural chemical reaction gives off water vapor so anytime to cook your food, you "steam" it to some extent. The difference is the extent of the steaming and what it's steamed with that affects the texture and taste of the food. Wrapping meat in foil to allow it to cook in it's own juices is exactly the way to cook meat in it's own, natural moisture if your goal is to cook a piece of juicy, tender meat. Some methods and recipes will be fine without foil, so the situation varies by mneat, temperature, cooking time, etc. .

FWIW, the chemical reaction of cooking with propane produces a much higher water content "steam" which is another reason why I don't use gas grills...

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So what? I prefer a tender, juicy rib to a dry one. I've seen people grill ribs until they are dried out trying to get them tender. I've seen briskets so oversmoked in a smoker that no one could eat them. But you smoke them a while and then wrap them in foil and they get to keep cooking slowly without getting too damn smokey.

But I agree about baked potatoes. They are far better if baked naked and not wrapped in foil or plastic.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Microwave is made for potatoes and popcorn. Mashed potatoes can be made in no time.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

and rice.

7. tirk

Yep even better. I got one of those 5 dollar rice cookers for the mic and it's killer.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

that is the only way i will make rice now. comes out perfect every time with no muss of fuss. stick the whole thing in the fridge after too and just reheat any leftovers in it.

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Not sure what you and Tirk are talking about. However, who in the hell needs help cooking rice? That is the easiest thing in the world to cook.

ETA, I'm sure the microwave dohicky thing works fine, but I just don't get the why of it. Another single purpose gadget to clutter up your kitchen.

10. tirk

Not a gadget. It's basically just a bowl with a lid. If you used it you'd understand. Stick the rice in it add salt, water and 20 mins later it's waiting on you. Dont have to tend to it or clean a pot after. Or worry how it comes out. Perfect rice is not easy for most.