Times Picayune article, Peter Finney

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Geaux4Tigers, Sep 30, 2007.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Re: Times Picayune artical, Peter Finney

Unranked, maybe so. But Washington has to have the toughest schedule in D-1. They're NOT playing badly either. I tell ya what, if LSU played Washington last night and USC played Tulane yesterday, we could be in a different situation today.

LSU had an impressive win against a slightly (but nonetheless) overrated VTech team. I just think LSU is still only second best right now. If we beat UF soundly (I mean a good game with no turnovers, fewer penalties and a well-executed game plan,) then I'd be willing to put LSU into the top spot.

I may be tough on LSU since I'm a fan, but I see an LSU team that struggles to keep its consistency. Hopefully they needed a team like Tulane to bring them back down to earth. :geauxtige

2. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

The only question for Miles to answer is how many more morning games will we play? Consider that this schedule was outside the norm, combined with the lack of respect anyone(see Vegas line) gave Tulane, and our most important game being a week away, I was neither surprised by our first half performance, nor concerned. Miles woke them up and they snapped to attention just fine. Our coaches have proven an ability to get his team ready and in all honesty, I pity our boys at practice this week.

Remember the smirk on Miles' face at halftime? He was not trying to figure out how to beat Tulane, but rather what dipping sauce he would use after chewing ass at halftime. The knee jerk reactions on this board vs Flynn every time his line fails to protect him, his receivers fail to get separation, and every time he (God forbids) makes a mistake are just overboard. A 42 point spread was preposterous and you cannot expect that teams are not going to play us like it's their superbowl.

This is LSU's year guys. We will be ready.:geauxtige

3. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

:thumb:

Seem like people just see what they want to see and try to find the negatives of every game.

Would y'all rather have P. White, C. Mcoy, T. Tebow, or that OU qb over Matt Flynn? Me I would rather have Flynn he's undefeated as a starter!

4. tigerpub

tigerpub Founding Member

I truly believe the O-line simply had a bad day. I am not so sure the players took Tulane seriously. At some point after the first half, it seemed they woke up. If they had started the game the way they ended it, they would have easily covered the spread.:geauxtige

5. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i think the worry among some fans is that LSU is capable of playing badly and not being focused.
    do that against TU and you can still win 34-9. do that to other SEC teams when they bring their A+ game and we'd have to take the NC talk out of the picture.

all in all, i see the tigers being way mmore focused next week b/c this will be the game of the week. but if the ceiling is being #1 and a nat'l championship the floor was the 1st half against TU. players can have bad games so can coaches. the AU and UF games last year proved that.

6. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

The team was not fired up, but Tulane was. The offense was so bland in the first half you can't even call it vanilla. No option the whole game, maybe the Pistol once, and Perriloux hardly threw a pass. I expect to see a lot this week. Miles and Crowton love to set up stuff. I really think we are going to see the coming out party of a two QB system in full force. :geauxtige

7. CajinTigah

CajinTigah Founding Member

The only question the coaches have right now is how to make sure they never take another team lightly.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

No, no, no and no. But in Flynn's current state of health, for now, I would rather have Ryan Perrilloux. Just until Flynn is full speed again. Flynn may be undefeated, but he has not contributed in any significant way to the last two victories. He's had more negatives than positives, in fact, because he just can't move the way he's capable.

9. tigerdro

tigerdro GEAUX TIGERS!

i don't understand all the heat some of you are giving Matt Flynn. he completed 16/29 for 258 yards - his career high. he had one interception and 6 sacks.

the interception was a bad call on his part. the sacks only partially his fault. the only problem i saw with him was the younger player type mistake he made - intentional grounding. i see this as a concern because it says to me that MF lost his cool and panicked. it happens. it may happen again. who knows? he may be a 5 year senior but he's still a young guy who's spent most of his college career on the bench or holding the ball for kickers. he sure handles the pressure of being the quarterback of a high ranked team better than many of us would. all in all, the boy is doing a good job and with the help of his whole team has successfully led us this far.

i know. i know. some of you say, "but it was tulane". this is true, but tulane brought their A game and we didn't. this game obviously meant a helluva lot more to them and their fans than it did to us and ours. that showed on the field saturday.

10. StarsofOrion

StarsofOrion Founding Member

Semantics.

At this point, LSU deserves the No.1 ranking, but they got a lot of help from sub-par performances from other top 5 teams.