this marquise hill situation

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by upsizin, May 29, 2007.

1. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

It's driving me nuts and I can't stop thinking about it... I'm not sure why, but this has really hit me... I'm always in that lake messing around... also not wearing a jacket :( I guess I'll think twice

anyways, I'm wondering if someone in the know here can get any info on a possible memorial service for marquise hill... maybe tigerforums can get together and do something... if nothing else send flowers or a card or even attend the services

just an idea... anyone have any info or ideas?

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I hear ya man. My brother has been shopping for a jetski for the past couple of months. All I could think of was to make sure he wears a vest when he gets his. I couldn't imagine such a thing happening to him.

Not sure it would look good to send flowers on behalf of tigerforums.com. May seem like advertising @ a funeral. No reason why people can't get together and send some flowers though.

I'd imagine some sort of fund in his name will be established though. So people may be able to contribute to it when/if one is setup.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i would like to see a fund to establish a scholarship to lsu set up in his name. from all accounts, he was always thinking of and helping others. i'm sure the owner of the pats could get it started with a nice contribution.

4. upsizin

upsizin Founding Member

I didn't mean for it to be an advertisement, but regardless of how small it is, I feel like tigerforums is part of the LSU community... would be nice to send something in his honor

5. GetBackToWork

GetBackToWork Founding Member

The life jacket issue on jet skis is something people don't always want to consider. For me, all it took was getting thrown off once at an odd angle, head first, leading to a big gulp of salt water and disorientation. The life jacket kept me upright as I came to my senses. It only takes a few seconds no matter how strong a swimmer one might be.

6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Like the seat belts in your car, it's all about improving your odds for survival if something does go wrong, because it can all happen so quickly.

We like freedom, no belts, no life jackets, but they sure do come in handy when something suddenly happens. There are still folks that lose their lives in car wrecks simply because they don't buckle up.

I am so sorry that this oversight cost Marquise his life.
    He was truly a hero for saving the girl but it is tragic that he couldn't save himself as well.

7. HectorSpectre

HectorSpectre Founding Member

Exactly!

We have many who particpate in water-sport activities here (in Hawaii) ranging from scuba to jet-ski, to surfing, to para-sailing to wind-surfing and on and on.

The biggest problems our rescue people face is with people going into the ocean without proper safety equipment, no "buddy" with them and lack of knowledge of local water conditions (current, tide, etc.).

Sadly, the vast majority of injuries and death to our island-visitors occurs in the water. Sometimes it seems like when people are away from home, they will leave their good sense at home.

It always such a deep tragedy, but never a wholly unique one.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

so he was drifting apart from the female he tried to help? i know currents there are strong in certain areas but having a hard time seeing how this happened.

its not like he was unconscious or something or even hurt from what it seems.

9. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

I thought for sure he broke his legs/arms or something..

just didn't add up...

10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

My 11 year old son wanted to know why Marquise Hill drowned if he knew how to swim. I had to explain to him that regardless of how good someone can swim, at some point your body just tires out and thats it. Not to mention that when an accident occurs, panics sets in and that further complicates matters. BOTTOM LINE: Told him that if you are on the water, wear a life preserver.