The Age of Trump: White Nationalist terrorist carplows into counter-protestors

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Aug 12, 2017.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

This week shows Trump was always about race
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...was-always-about-race/?utm_term=.5eb1e33681d6

.....at the heart of Trump’s campaign and the center of the Fox News operation, which incubated a Trump-ready electorate, has always been an appeal to white grievance, which Trump and Bannon were all too happy to gin up with fables about immigrants stealing whites’ jobs, African American killing fields in big cities, murderous illegal immigrants and, quite blatantly, an appeal to Southern infatuation with the Confederate myth of the “lost cause.” Trump’s vilifying all Muslims with a broad brush and his description of Mexicans as murderers were not incidental to his campaign; they were its distinguishing features.

"Race-baiting ideas. Anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant ideas … all key tenets making up an emerging racist ideology known as the ‘Alt-Right.’”

Alt-Right is short for “Alternative Right.”,.. a loosely organized movement, mostly online, that “rejects mainstream conservatism, promotes nationalism and views immigration and multiculturalism as threats to white identity.”

The de facto merger between Breitbart and the Trump Campaign represents a landmark achievement for the “Alt-Right.” A fringe element has effectively taken over the Republican Party.

This is part of a broader story — the rising tide of hard-line, right-wing nationalism around the world. . . . Of course there’s always been a paranoid fringe in our politics, steeped in racial resentment. But it’s never had the nominee of a major party stoking it, encouraging it, and giving it a national megaphone. Until now.

On David Duke’s radio show the other day, the mood was jubilant.

“We appear to have taken over the Republican Party,” one white supremacist said.

Duke laughed. There’s still more work to do, he said.

2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Duck your brilliance is unbelievable! If David Duke said it it must be true. Of course we will have to hang on every word Duke says as gospel. If Duke says Obama is a secret member of the Klan and a devil worshiper well we will have to believe it.

3. GiantDuckFan

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...was-always-about-race/?utm_term=.5eb1e33681d6
    This is part of a broader story — the rising tide of hard-line, right-wing nationalism around the world. . . . Of course there’s always been a paranoid fringe in our politics, steeped in racial resentment. But it’s never had the nominee of a major party stoking it, encouraging it, and giving it a national megaphone. Until now.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Duck I know you don't want to acknowledge anyone else in the situation besides Trump but that's a very narrow perspective. Racism on either side didn't just appear out of nowhere. I don't find any of it excusable but in order to move past it we have to at least understand it. For 8 years Obama made comments and choices that allowed the feeling of exclusivity to fester amongst a certain part of the population.

It's starting to come out now because those people feel emboldened and for lack of a better word, safe, to say how they feel without fear of punishment.

The tone of this country has been going in this direction for quite some time. To lay it all at the feet of trump is convenient but not exactly insightful.

5. GiantDuckFan

I have acknowledged others in the situation besides Trump, I'm not blind to the radical lefts role in Charlottesville. vball, surely you see how Trump's comments emboldened the supremacist hate groups and inflamed the violent left. Trump had the opportunity to do some good, but he fucked it away. Winston posted a video of Ronald Reagon speaking about racial divide,.. too bad Trump didn't strike that tone,.. he was shit in comparison.
    Though Trump could've helped, the real problem is, radical extremists
    fucking extremists
    You said,.. The tone of this country has been going in this direction for quite some time. To lay it all at the feet of trump is convenient but not exactly insightful,..

:cool: Most here point at Obama, I'll take their word for it,.. but Trump exploited that pain, he seized on that and used it to get elected,.. but he's a false god, he has no solutions only harmful rhetoric,.. he's not a statesman, he's more like a used car salesman,.. a shyster. I want to be fair, but I don't trust him, I don't like him, I don't think he should be President.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I was thinking the same thing the other day. It's the whole pendulum correction. Each side ignores everything til their gotcha moment. Equality is never the end game.

el005639 likes this.
  7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Dominance is the end game and the left is winning.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Examples please.

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

In their response Pride. When David Duke thinks Trump's statement was in support of the Nazi/Klan position. Trump said the wrong thing.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

No, I don't. Embolden suggests that somehow Trump gave them power they didn't already have. What has happened is that they are voicing long held thoughts and opinions that for 8 years, and longer, have been slowly bubbling below the surface.

Maybe he could have, I'd like to think so. However, for a certain part of the population, there is nothing he can do right or say that will be acceptable or commendable. We are beyond that and so civility begins to dissipate.

Yes. How many have the self-control to see it and avoid engaging?

I don't "trust" him either. He's a politician. I don't think he's a god or a statesman.

But he's been if office for around 8 months. What you are seeing did not just fester and pop up over 8 months. It takes awhile. So while the former President was telling Republicans to get in the back seat, telling people that Trayvon could be his son (never said that about anyone else), golfing the day an American was beheaded, welcoming Bergdahl's family to the White House, continuing to foster a relationship with Jeremiah Wright, perverts Title IX to include civil rights bullshit, blaming white people for falling popularity, blaming the lack of support for Obamacare on racism, etc, etc, etc, he was sowing the seeds of what you see in full bloom today.

Honestly, who emboldened the nitwit at USC to question our mascot and a totally false association with Lee's horse? Look to the last administration.

It's time to stop pointing the finger out and be responsible for one's own behavior. I seriously wonder what good might come of a moratorium on Trump's twitter and a total black out of the media sans sports scores and the weather.