Thanksgiving Turduchen

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by KyleK, Nov 8, 2011.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Gonna do something different for Thanksgiving this year and add a Turduchen to the mix. Rouses has 10 different stuffings to choose from. Anyone ever had one? What was it stuffed with? Thoughts?

Is the stuffing needed to keep it from drying out or simply as a "bonus"? I didn't ask the guy for a list of all of the stuffings, but I'm sure they have all the bases covered.

We will also have a regular turkey and a honey ham, so it won't be the only choice available to everyone.

1 person likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I like them stuffed with cornbread dressing. I never really cared for oyster and seafood stuffings in turkeys or turduckens.

3. KyleK

Thanks. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I have never had one though. Do the 3 meats complement each other?

I always spelled it that way. At Rouses, they spell it turdechen, as in hen on the inside. Who knew?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's just something different than the same old turkey. I had one that was a mess and fell apart and another that made beautiful slices with layered meat and stuffings. Get one from a place that has a reputation for quality.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think they are overrated and not worth the price.

but not terrible.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Those are for people who can't make a decision. Pick one, cook it and be done. Sooner the in-laws and azzholes are gone the sooner they can start the "My, did so-in-so gain a lot of weight" conversations on the way home.

7. KyleK

Thanksgiving at our household is a big deal each year. We will have about 35 people and way too much food as always. We just thought it would be nice to substitute one of the turkeys with a turduchen since none of us had ever tried one. We start cooking a couple days before and people stay till late at night. You would think it was the Waltons with the way we all get along and do corny family stuff.

8. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well sounds like a great time and I was only shytin with you. Cook one, whatcha got to lose?

I would edit out my surname if I were you. Weridos plus possible work related problems. I won't tell anyone you live off Hwy __. :lol:

9. KyleK

Probly right. sucks to have to worry about it. Stop by for a beer anytime!

And I knew you were just shytin with me. In our family, holidays tend to get excessive - it's all about getting the family together.

10. Cordelia

Cordelia Founding Member

I have done the turducken thing a couple of times. You and your family should go for it. When it works, it slices beautifully and looks real neat. When it doesn't it looks like an explosion of meat and rice and cornbread. Throw it in a bowl and have fun. It is big crowd pleaser and I imagine Rouse's knows what they are about. Happy Thanksgiving!