Sushi Masa (new)

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by ccgw, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

Wonder if anyone has been to this new Japanese restaurant?

It is on Essen Lane across the street from Albertson's in front of Ichiban (where Louisiana Culinary School was).

Just tried it tonight and had a pleasant surprise.

At first I was a bit skeptical and not expecting much.

They have both ala carte ordering or, if you want, the better deal in all you can order that includes different appetizers, sushi , entree, dessert, one alcoholic drink. To me it it much much better than the Nagoya buffet setup where the items are not freshly prepared.

I am Asian, and like eating out and trying different restaurants. For this restaurant, I ordered the Margarita which tasted quite good, better than ones that come from the margarita machines. They also have Cosmopolitan and Strawberry Daquiri which I will try next. With this all you can order deal for $21.95(dinner), $13 (lunch), you can literally order as many entrees, items as you want as long as you can finish them without any waste. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR LEFTOVERS! (I think that is to prevent people from over-ordering and dogging bagging all the excesses.) If you are a good eater, you can be in heaven as you can try so many items on their menu. They have a mango-salmon appetizer which was quite nice. We also ordered different sashimi, suhi, salmon naruto, and my son ordered a white fish roll ;they were all quite good. We all had salad and soup, including snapper and steak teriyaki. The steak teriyak stood out as the beef is of a very good quality,and is grilled very well (better grilled than most of the Japanese restaurants I have tried in town, including Kamado, Ichiban, Little Tokyo, Koi, Hello Sushi etc.) Their teriyaki sauce is not SO sweet like a lot of the other places. We also tried Shrimp tempura which I was pleased with. Also had Age Tofu, shrimp suimai. Last but not least, fried bannana and green tea ice cream.

The whole deal reminds of being on a cruise at the dining room where you can literally order and eat as much as you want!

In conclusion, unlike any mass production buffet places, this place produces quality dishes, including alcohol drinks. The presentation is also quite nice. It is worth a try for anyone.

I have already decided I will go back.

So far, they have limited advertisement, and has reopened only recently for about 2 weeks. Most of their customers are return customers. Tonight saw a guy(freq customer) who went back with a friend of his....

As mentioned in a post earlier, it is opened by the same people that owns Hello Tokyo in Gonzales. I did a Google search on this restaurant in Gonzales which apparently got some decent reviews. They have been in Gonzales for quite a while.

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Well, they have a location problem. They opened as a buffet about 2 months ago and that lasted 2 weeks. I went there back then and got sick. They closed and I presume took out the buffet sushi? Which is not a good idea to eat anyway. Ichiban's was going to build a large place there on Perkins but because of the proliferation of Japanese restaurants and then this place spending a gob of money and likely won't be successful, Ichiban scrapped their new place (after 2 years of designing it).

I still think the best, freshish Sushi is Sushi Yama and I like Ichiban as a close 2nd.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It's raw isn't it?

I'm a coonass, we don't drink for taste.

No, it's because Asians are the tightest suckas there are.

Mr Gattis is hard to beat imo. :hihi:

4. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

I am sorry you got sick.
    No, they do not have any buffet. That's why I don't like places like Nagoya on Sherwood; tried one piece of sushi and dared not go back for any more sushi in their buffet.

PS: I am still in one piece today. Guess with any food items, it may be a hit or miss type of thing.