Squirrel Hunting???

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Sep 29, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

The Indians lost the war with bows.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Well no shit genius, I'm not hunting cowboys I'm killing supper.

3. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Just turn the walkers loose. If they won't move by god the dogs will make em move. Old timer told me one time "you think I'm gonna sit out here in the middle of 30,000 acres and MAYBE a deer will walk by?....hell no boy I need hot pursuit!"

For the record I don't run dogs except my catahoula to blood trail deer and bay hogs....i mostly still hunt but I do love to hear a good race and my brother is the 2 time national fox dog field trial champion and has about 25 head that will slap burns a bucks ass up.

KyleK likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Jval, you gone get some tree rats this weekend? I'm going to a WMA and not sure where I'll hunt cause I've never hunted squirrels there. The guys I'm going with are going to bow hunt so I only have to kill enough to eat. They're putting the pressure on me and said they know I will kill plenty for us to cook but I told them I was going low-key and not hunting hard. If I kill 3 or 4 I'll be happy with that. I'm bringing some sausage so I have something to stretch the squirrels for them phuckers just in case.:D

5. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

I've never killed one and could never ever clean one.......but I'll be damned if I didn't get tricked into eating one pot roasted and limb rat was damn fabulous !!!

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. jvalhenson

Haven't decided yet. I been watchin these in the yard and field in the pecan trees and they got the wools something fierce so I may hold off a while. I know they don't hurt anything I just can't deal with em when they eat up like these are. Usually these here never have them so if they here I'm thinking they prob bad in the creek swamp

7. jvalhenson

Hard to beat some biscuits and squirrel gravy or squirrel dumplings.

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My old neighborhood in Wichita Falls was a former pecan orchard. Red squirrels were everywhere. They were a nuisance and were getting in everyone's attics and creating havoc. My neighbor and I purchased really nice pellet guns and declared war on the little bastids. One fall, between the 2 of us, we killed 186 of them.

I cooked jambalaya and gumbo for the church many times. To this day they tell me how much they enjoyed the food I cooked for them. I just don't have the heart to tell them how many squirrels they ate.

9. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Wools? Dare I ask.....if it's gross and I won't ever eat them again just don't respond.

10. jvalhenson

Hah no it's not that bad. looks worse than it is but I'll keep the details to myself. Just say it causes a temporary ugly spot on their skin that clears up quickly and has no impact on the meat at all.