Southern Pork barbecue

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pennsylvania, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

I'm thinking about slow cooking some barbecue for the big game on Monday.
    Can anyone share a good, southern recipe?

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Don't have a recipe but in this post I will share a common technique you can use for whatever cut you choose. I'll talk about meat on the next one.

I wish I knew how big your pit was. I put a good bit of charcoal (10lbs) and lite it AT LEAST 30 minutes before you put meat on pit. Let it get good and hot.

I overload my pit to one side but shake it a little to level off the charcoals to 2-3 high after it's well lit. Sometimes I'll drip a little grease to help it along.

It's been proven that "searing" doesn't REALLY "seal" but I still like to do it. When your pit is good and hot, drop the meat. Get a good color on all sides. Shouldn't take too too long- 15-20 minutes, give or take.

Next, wrap it in foil and set to side that's not overloaded with charcoal. This is why I overload one side. I put the meat over heat but more to the side of it.

I also like to put a container of water (empty can veggies come in works well) to keep some humidity. Check your fire once and a while. I usually add some more char coal at some point because it's important to let it burn till it gets hot for the searing then you need more to make sure it lasts for a couple to three hours.

3. LSUTiga

I'm surprised stevescookin doesn't post more in here. Either we're so far off he laughs his arse off or he's like the mechanic with the broken car and comes here to escape cooking.

Anyway, I sometimes buy a stuffed roast or even just a regular roast.
    My favorite is a brisket but your title is pork so I'll touch both.

If it's a stuffed roast you're good to go. If it's not you can inject it and/or stuff it with garlic, etc.

If it's a brisket, I inject it with a marinade.

If you're scared, buy a Spiral Sliced Honey Glazed Ham. You can't phuck that up. It's already cooked and only needs to be re-heated- and you can "slow cook it" all day. :wink:

4. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

Ok....I don't have a pit. I was just referring to a slow cooker/crock pot. I have seen several recipes online.....some using dry rubs.....some cooking in ginger ale or cola.......
    I was wondering how is best.....

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

This means on a pit!

Then you weren't serious about southern were ya? ;)

Tiga, I use much the same technique as you. Fire on one side, sear, move to no fire side. For brisket, I go about an hour per pound at 225.

Penn, get a brisket and one of those foil roasting pans. Inject it with Marinade of your choice and put in the oven, covered at 225 for an hour per pound. Uncover for the last hour. Let the brisket rest for at least 30 min before you slice it. Get a couple loaves of poboy bread. Use the drippings for au jus for the poboys.

BTW, do you know how to cut a brisket?

6. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Freshman

Pulled Pork BBQ

Boston Butt in the Oven/smoker/covered grill

[FONT=&quot]Set temp at 225. Place thermometer in center of roast. When temp reaches 190-195, remove roast and wrap in alum foil. Place folded towel in bottom of cooler, with no ice in it. Allow the roast to remain in the cooler for 1 hour. Remove roast and pull it apart into small pieces. Add pulled pork and BBQ sauce to sauce pan/dutch oven and heat until sauce thickens.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Put it on sandwiches, poboys or on plate!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Some folks like to put coleslaw on their sandwiches/poboys:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Coleslaw:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]8 cup cabbage shredded/chopped
    ¼ cup shredded/chopped carrot
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp pepper
    ¼ cup of milk
    ¼ cup of buttermilk
    ½ cup mayo
    1 ½ tbl Cider vinegar
    2 ½ tbl lemon juice

Mix all the second set of ingredients together and pour over the cabbage. Refrigerate for 2 - 3 hours.[/FONT]

7. LSUTiga

Holy shyt- get you an Old Smokey. :grin: I have no idea with crock pots. My wife cooks very good stuff with her crock pot but I have never used one other than cooking chili.

Good suggestion. He can add a little "Liquid Smoke" to it.

Better yet, I hope he knows how to pick one out. Sometimes they're cut in smaller sizes and there's one end that's better than the other.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I have never cooked a pork butt on the smoker for less than 5 hours. The beauty of pork butt is that the longer you cook it, the more tender it gets. It's practically impossible to mess up. Just keep it wrapped and keep liquid below it. The last hour that I cook it I like to throw in some apple juice.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

First, get a pit . . . or you are making a pork roast.

For pork barbecue, get a recipe out of Carolina. They do pork better than anyone, in fact pork is all they do. For Beef, get a recipe from Texas, ditto. In Louisiana we blend styles and barbecue anything.

I think a Carolina-style thin, vinegary BBQ sauce works best for pork. The thick peppery Texas sauces work best for beef. The sweet Kansas City style sauces work on almost anything, even chicken. Cajun BBQ sauces tend to be chunky with onions, garlic, pepper and other tasty ingredients.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The people that mess them up, do it by oversmoking them.