so...Pink will sing our National Anthem at the not-Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Frogleg, Feb 2, 2018.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

He doesn't pick the entertainment, but my next door neighbor is the guy in charge of all of the rigging for the SB halftime show. In other words, they give him the entertainer, he makes the show happen. Not a bad gig.

This year, he was stressed more than most because Minnesota kept winning and he couldn't get started as early as he typically does.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

What does he do the rest of the year?

3. KyleK

Puts on a fishing tournament in the spring down in Venice. Other than that, Mows his yard or blows leave out of his yard (into mine if I'm not looking). He is seriously OCD about his yard.

As far as work though, the SB and the fishing tournament are it. Apparently both gigs pay very well.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A friend of mine has a neighbor like that. He calls him the Yard Nazi.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

On a related note....out here in SoCal, one of the top-rated soccer clubs for kids is the San Diego Surf. They put on 2 tournaments a year, one very big tourney and a smaller one. There's one dude whose job is to be the Director for those tourney's. That's it. Full-time, 2 a year.....he makes over $200k.

6. KyleK

When I lived in Wichita Falls, one of my daughters played travel ball (soccer) for one year. One of the Dallas teams we played had their own jet. It would go pick up this kid from Amarillo every week and bring her to Dallas to play. The coach made a 6 figure salary. This was for 10 and 12 year olds!

HalloweenRun and tirk like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hard to believe that in Texas they spend that kind of money on soccer. I mean, if it was football I could understand it.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  8. KyleK

It's all a scam job. Coaches convince parents that their kid is the next Mia Hamm. If the parents would invest those dues, the kid wouldn't need a soccer scholarship.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I have had soooooo many coworkers whose kid was either the next great American gymnast or future queen of the US soccer team. Parents worked so hard and spent fortunes.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

This is 100. Every club, every camp, every recruiting service and they all base their pitch around convincing mom and dad that THEY are the ones who can get their child money. Over the last year, youth soccer has adopted yet another scam known as Academy. Not every club offers it but they will eventually. There are 2 levels, the top level is all scholarship, the other level pays for the top level, lol. It's year-round, practice is 6 days a week, travel is extensive, and player at the top level may NOT play high school. And for some reason, parents seem to have missed the fact that no college teams increased their roster size, nor did the national team. Youth soccer has simply created another level of income funded on false hopes.

Yes and no. Soccer is an equivalency sport. There are limited scholarships. Men's teams carry an average of 29 players but only have enough scholarships for 9.9. Women carry 28 with 14 scholarships. So what most coaches do is offer full rides to a couple of the best players and split the rest among the others. And that's Div 1. Div 2 has even less, Div 3 and NAIA have nothing. So there's very little money at all except for the truly gifted and they don't need all the camps,clubs, and services. For everyone else, the best way to get any money at all is the academic route.

KyleK and stevescookin like this.