Snapping Turtles

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Aug 27, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well that was nice. So sweet when you wanna be. Now take me to bed, or lose me forever.

Just a reminder though, I had one about this size last about a year ago. April of 2015, page 33 in this thread.

2. LSUTiga

I set some turtle nets yesterday evening in a friend's pond. Have no idea if I'll catch a dam thing but will probably check tomorrow morning if not later this afternoon.

3. LSUTiga

Had 28 turtles Monday morning. No snapping turtles. Pond owner was sure glad to take some out. It's not a big pond. I dispatched them.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are a turtle ninja

5. LSUTiga

Those non target species are pretty easy. Any idiot could catch a batch of them.

I set in another friend's pond near a big lake with rice fields all around. Back when I first started this in 2011, I set there and didn't catch but I'm using much different bait than I did back then. I want to see if it was me or if there just weren't any snapping turtles in there.

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

How do you cook the ones you catch? Gumbo?

7. LSUTiga

Brown gravy. I'll try to fetch my recipe and post it for you. I have it in dropbox.

8. LSUTiga

I've seen many internet posts about "turtle soup". I've never tried it so I won't say I wouldn't like it but I don't see how it could be better than in gravy and over rice.

Ingredients

3 pounds turtle meat
    T Boys Seasoning or Slap Ya Mama
    2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
    Guidry’s Fresh Cuts (includes onions, bell peppers, parsley) OR the following:

1 medium onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup green onion tops, chopped
    1/2 cup parsley, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 can (14 oz) diced stewed tomatoes
    1 can (10 oz) Rotel diced tomatoes
    1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
    2 tbs roux (optional)

Add a small amount of grease or margarine to a heavy walled cast iron or aluminum pot. Heat the pot. When hot, add the turtle meat and brown over high heat until deep brown and until some of the browning sticks to the bottom of the pot.

Sauté Vegetables:
    After the meat is browned, remove from the pot.
    Add the onion, bell pepper, ro-tel, and garlic, and sauté until wilted in the brownings.

Smother:
    Add the meat back to the mixture.
    Add the water & tomato sauce.
    Optional but highly recommended-Roux:

"Sauce piquante" means to cook in a tomato base. I do not like a strong, distinctive "tomato saucy" taste, so sometimes I like to add a couple of tablespoons of roux to enrich the tomato base flavor. To make your own roux, add 2 tbs flour and 2 tbs oil to a heavy pan. Place on medium heat, and stir constantly until a chocolate brown roux is obtained. This takes awhile. Its hard to make a small batch of roux, so I recommend you use store bought roux.

Cook with the pot covered under low heat so the mixture simmers (lightly boils). Keep adding water so the meat stays barely covered. You need to simmer long enough so the distinctive "tomato saucy" taste is cooked down to a smooth tomato base flavor, and the meat is tender.

Taste and add more seasoning (or salt and pepper) to taste.

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I won't find any snapping turtle in CO. Chicken should work as a substitute shouldn't it? Thanks for the recipe.

10. LSUTiga

I imagine you can order it online. Chicken would definitely fit. I love chicken and sausage sauce piquante too. Plus any wild game, really. I use essentially that recipe on my wild game. Squirrels, ducks, deer...