Snapping Turtles

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Aug 27, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I've been dealing with Dixie Garden Nets. Ordered two more today. Guy is very nice and has been helpful with tips to point me in the right direction. We've been emailing but today I called him. He's a commercial fisherman and knows his stuff.

>Turtle Traps<

Big Tiger likes this.
  2. LSUTiga

Here's what they look like fishing. It's necessary to leave at least a couple of inches out of the water so they can get O2.

[​IMG]

I had quite a few today. This trap had 3 softshells in it:

[​IMG]

Going to relocate the two smaller ones and if I catch another bigger one over the weekend I will clean them. Have never eaten softshell. May have to give it a try.

[​IMG]

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

you gotta catch the alligator snappers and risk a few digits. ones we caught were like 150 lbs.

the softshells are a delicacy but im not sure if they are legal anymore.

4. LSUTiga

Trying to catch some alligator snappers. I set some lines tonight.

Big Tiger likes this.
  5. LSUTiga

Here's the reg for alligator snapping turtles. Didn't see anything on softfshells. They are a lot more common now than years ago. I see a lot.

Big Tiger likes this.
  6. tirk

oh cool.

ask supa how to chop their heads off. thats step 1.

7. tirk

i was referring to the soft shell ones. i thought i remembered reading something about it but it may have been those sea ones.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Alligator snappers are easier to handle than common snappers because their necks aren't as long, and they are more docile.

Also the snapping action goes on for a minute or so after you chop the heads off, so keep your toes away. I once saw a head from a snapper clamp down on a chick and kill it.

9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Awesome, Tiga. Those pics are awesome. I look forward to seeing any other pictures that you post.

One time in high school I was riding around with my boy early in the morning about to go fishing. He's kind of a country/cajun type (more country than cajun). We were cruising down the road and all of a sudden he got this mean scowl on his face and slammed on his breaks. I was like, "wtf?" and he threw his truck in reverse and suddenly stopped the truck....barking his wheels and everything. He threw it into park and jumped out of the truck. He was/is known as a fighter. He used to fight MMA a few years back. Judging by the look on his face and the way he aggressively made the stop, etc I thought for sure he saw something that he disapproved of and was getting out to beat the sh*t out of someone. He ran down into a big ditch as if he was chasing something. I got out of the truck and looked down and he was manhandling the biggest snapping turtle that I've ever seen. The turtle finally succumbed and Gene threw him in the back of this truck. I was like, "dude, wtf was THAT?". He said, "shyyyyyyyt boy. I'm gonna take eem home and bleed eem and daddy'll make a soup out of him."

I was and still am in awe over that experience.

10. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

No effin way, broseph.

1 person likes this.