Silver Lining

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 9, 2016.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

So you were in the closet with HRC?

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You know better, just saying I don't trust him

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

None of them will. Everyone should know that. They are all untouchable. It was all posturing anyhow.

I'd fire comey day 1 however.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

That's what I think for sure. They all do.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

It'll be interesting to see. His true beliefs, if anything he said between 1980 and 2013 is to be believed, are more middle of the road or slightly left another reason why it was so surprising the hardcore right came out for him. These are the things I predict will be different from what he said:

1. Obamacare - He'll try to get rid of it but won't get rid of the pre existing condition mandate and therefore, prices won't go down at all.

2. Deport every illegal and build a Wall - He's not buidling a wall and mexico isn't paying for it. I hate to point this out but if you live in Houston or Dallas, construction costs will skyrocket if he actually deported everyone. I suspect he will fall back in line with what he said a few years ago and will create a path to citizenship for those that have been here a long time. Basically Paul Ryan's plan.

3. Drastically change strategy against ISIS - I think when he's faced with the full situation, he'll understand the group of four star generals who've been running this operation are making progress and it's just a tough fight.

4. I'll be curious to see what he decides on fiscal matters. Right now his plan is to lower taxes, increase spending on defense, not change entitlements, lower the deficit, and do all of it by cutting waste. Obviously that won't happen so I suspect it's entitlements that get hit and I doubt he increases defense spending by that much. He can't raise taxes or his supporters will string him up by his hair

5. Investigate Clinton Further - That ship has sailed. It won't happen. It's a terrible precedent to set and trump is notorious for threatening lawsuits and not following through.

6. Abortion - I don't think he's going to fight abortion reform but I don't expect him to push it as a lot of evangelicals think. He'll appoint justices and if it happens it happens. I don't think he really cares either way.

I'm sure there's more. That's just off the top of my head.

COTiger, GiantDuckFan and Winston1 like this.
  6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It was noted on Morning Joe that Trump likes to do big things. Expect him to really push infrastructure spending. I hope he does it's really needed to compete and bring jobs back.

I'll be curious to see what he does about jobs. I've seen more jobs lost do to automation than exporting work in most industries (textiles and a few other excepted). I recently read an article that 70% of job loss over the last 40 years is due to automation. I know that is accurate in the oil, chemical and process industry. The actual number of people in the ExxonMobil Baton Rouge refinery involved in running and maintenance has dropped in half of the last 40 years. The throughput in barrels/day is the same and complexity of the products made is greater. Similar experience is seen in steel and automotive.

This needs to be addressed openly and honestly and will be a challenge to Trump and us all.

7. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I'd love to spend big on infrastructure but this will put us into more debt. Had obama used infrastructure to get us out of the great recession, we would be far better off. That was one of the great lost opportunities in political history in my opinion. So the question becomes, where will he cut if he's going to go big on infrastructure, and cut taxes, and increase defense spending?

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Where does that revenue come from though to pay for it. All this bold shit he was talking about is going to cost money. Cutting waste is something people talk about it has no meaning unless you talk about how. Most of the time that's what people say and then they just say fuck that lets start laying people off. At least that's how it's handled in the private sector. I work in subcontracting and actually these big business republicans like Trump who ship jobs overseas are good for my industry. Temp labor is here to stay.

mobius481 likes this.
  9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Are some of you clueless as to more Americans working means more revenue? I mean he clearly stated that as part of the plan.

This shit doesn't happen in a vacuum. He can in FACT cut spending and increase revenue with lower taxes.

This, my friends, is a mathematical fact.

A lot of work will be lost with TPP. That is going to be a huge job saver. Can't say that enough.

He was right on trade. We get bent for no fucking reason. In the short-term you will see higher prices, not much, but higher. The long term is that it will disincentivise businesses moving overseas that "import" back into the US. Key word there.

Contrary to popular belief, this won't kill the world economy. Many companies have overseasons production to serve those markets. That will stay and won't be affected (most likely). What will change is bending the American worker over for profits. Something you Libs should love. Though the major issue, which the media won't say, is that it isn't really about profit as its about working tax revenue.

Pure and simple, the middle class got fucked by NAFTA.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

What do you do for a living exactly? I am amazed at some of the things you type.

DO you have any idea of how much just US regulations cost the American company? Not even talking about taxes yet. Just time, effort and people to keep up with and in accordance with US regulations. Do you have any idea?