Shrimp

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pennsylvania, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

I'm a shrimp fanatic, but I can honestly say I have never boiled or steamed shrimp at home.
    I was thinking about cooking some up on New Year's eve. Any suggestions/recipes yall can pass on to me?

2. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

Can you get fresh shrimp? That is the first step! Check around for the deliveries that are on a daily basis. You will pay out the nose for it, but it is a must.

Second step, do you have the equipment to boil?

Third step- ZATARAIN'S! I like the liquid crab boil stuff. ZATARAIN'S® - A New Orleans Tradition Since 1889 Recipes and more on the link.

3. Cordelia

Cordelia Founding Member

Here you go. Louisiana Seafood Promotion & Marketing Board
    You never told us if you had a good time at the game in Baton Rouge. You did, huh? Nobody treated you bad or anything?
    If you can't find any Zatarains, well, you can use Old Bay but it won't really be Louisiana.
    Happy New Year!

4. Pennsylvania

I"m going to have to do my homework on where to get really fresh shrimp. I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Yes Cordelia, I had an amazingly good time. BR was great. The people and hospitality were great. It was truely a wonderful trip...although 2 days wasn't enough. I will return.

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

My wife and daughters prefer them boiled so I do some for them occasionally. To me the best thing about boiled shrimp is the dip you put on them.

Make sure you put enough NaCl. That's the biggest mistake people make imo. If you're doing it on a small scale, de-head them first. You can put a lot more of the edible stuff in the pot.

I put salt, a couple of packets of Zatarain's Shrimp & Crab Boil seasoning AND red pepper & black pepper. Then Zatarain's liquid crab boil, lemon juice, and onions cut in half (remove skin first). I use Zatarain's but I'm sure there are other good ones too. Something about the packaging draws me to it, I guess.

I fetched you up a link (below) if you want/need to order some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Zatarain's Crab Boil in a box

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

"Steamed" shrimp? Man, that would be worse than the Maine Yankee who told me that they boil seafood in water.

"Sometimes we add a little dill", the yankee says . . .

7. Pennsylvania

Steaming is no good Red?

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

not no, but HE!! no! Boil as Tiga said.

A couple of other options from a restaurant I have always enjoyed in New Orleans, Mr. B's.

Mr. B's BBQ Shrimp.

You could also do their Mr. B's Marinated Shrimp.

9. Pennsylvania

I picked up some Zatarain's shrimp boil today. I'll give it a whirl.

I notice that it says to boil the shrimp for 1 minute, then let the shrimp sit in the water for another 10 to 15 minutes. I assume this is to allow the spices to be soaked into the shrimp. Is this how yall do it?

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Yes. You may also want to dump some ice in it after the minute so that they don't overcook but will still soak up the spices.