Serious question, who ultimately runs this offense: Miles or Crowton?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsudolemite, Oct 12, 2009.

1. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Our current situation is that we have a young, shaky QB and mediocre-to-poor OL. Instead of simplifying the playbook and crafting an offense around JJ's strengths, it's as if he's being forced to run the same ineffective plays over and over. IMO, this is ultimately on Miles' doorstep for not making the proper adjustments to the current talent level and players' abilities. All of which begs the question: is Crowton calling all the shots on offense, or is Les overruling him from the sideline? If so, how often? Is Miles explicitly forcing Crowton to call more power running plays than he ordinarily would? This is a problem that has to be diagnosed, and fast.

2. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

I don't think Miles has that much to do with this offense.. I can't imagine Miles going 5-wide on 4th and 1. I think it's Crowtons problem.. and there are legitimate trends to back that up, see the various threads about Crowton.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

We went 5 wide on 4th and 1 this season?

I remember gonig 5 wide in the backfield vs Georgia on 4th and 1. Nobdoy was blocking for a helpless Jefferson trying to sneak it across.

4. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

It may have been 3rd and 1. We're trying to run this ridiculous quasi-spread and our offense looks like we're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole :lol:

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

even if so, miles is the head coach and it falls on his shoulders. even if it is crowton making the decisions and calling the plays.

if it is not working, then miles needs to do something. tell crowton to come up with something else, or take it over himself.

and if it is crowton making the decisions and calling the plays, then there may be some truth to what is being said in other threads. i dont know. but whatever is going on, its not working, and the offense i saw sat night was awful.

6. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

The offense we've seen all year has been terrible. Something has to break sooner or later.. and changes must (and will) be made. Miles has a few million reasons to make the change :hihi:

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

We also went straight up the gut 3 times on 1st and goal from the 10.

I think we can all agree that the buck stops with the HC. What I'm trying to see from everyone else is how much of Miles' fingerprints are currently on this offense? Before the great unearthing of the Oregon fan post there were 2 schools of thought:

1. Miles is being stubborn and trying to play Big-10 football when he doesn't have the horses, and is trying to tie the genius Crowton's hands behind his back.
    2. What we're seeing IS Crowton's system and it's simply ineffective as run by Jefferson and company, and Miles has nothing to do with it.

What I'm asking is how much of #1 and #2 is actually involved. Furthermore, who actually reads the defense and changes the play on the sideline? What adjustments, if any, are made during halftime? I'll be darned if I can pinpoint any.

8. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Whoever is at fault for the play calling, the blame lies with Miles.

He is the Head Coach so either:

1.) If Crowton is the problem then Miles as the HC should be stepping in and bringing his ASST under control.

2.) If Miles is getting in the way he needs to realize this and take a step back!

Either way this is Mile's team!

A GREAT coach is able to build a scheme around his players...NOT force the players into the scheme!

9. KerryS

KerryS Founding Member

Even if it is Crowton's playcalling, it is Les's job to correct it. Les could have Shepard in there. He could say let's get Randle in the game. He could say let's open this offense up! JJ has had plenty of time to improve, hasn't happened. If Crowton is doing the playcalling and a HUGE improvement is not seen soon, he should pack his bags. If a new coordinator is brought in and we see much of the same thing, Les should pack his as well. I like Les Miles a helluva lot. But we have to do better than this.

10. HittinZX2

HittinZX2 Living to die laughing

Don't you think that both of them work on a game plan together? It seems like this offense incorporates some things that both of them like to do, spread and power running.

Either way I think we see some corrections being made for Auburn. :geaux: