Seafood Stock

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by pharpe, May 4, 2010.

1. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Does anyone know where to buy seafood stock locally? (BR) I like making seafood gumbos and bisques using seafood stock instead of water or chicken stock but it's such a pain to make it. All I ever see in the stores is Beef, Chicken, and Vegetable stocks though.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

There are stock bases out there. These are pastes that come in a jar and you mix according to directions with water. Although I never mix according to directions because they're salty and I mix according to salt taste.

Sam's club generally has the beef and chicken bases only, but you can get shrimp, crab, lobster and a general seafood base from restaurant suppliers.

If I were you, I would make friends with the owner of a small cafe nearby and ask the owner to order you a shrimp and a seafood base for you. The product is generally delivered and then the owner has to cut a check for it a week later. They cost around $10 to $15 dollars per jar so just offer to pay up front in cash when the bases come in. and it shouldn't be a problem. The restaurant business is very tough and some places don't have seven day terms and are on a COD basis with their supplier so in order to avoid any embarrassment to the owner, just ask how much and pay up front. Then make sure to patronize his place a couple of times for the favor.

These bases are great in soups and sauces.

3. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Thanks. I'm guessing it's something like this: Minor's Seafood Base - 16 oz.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

4. stevescookin

That's the stuff. Minor's is a good brand too.

5. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

So how long does this stuff keep for once it's opened? Do I have to use the whole thing or is it something I can just have sitting around until I need it?

6. bronlaw

bronlaw bronlaw

:geaux:Check with Chef KD in Gonzales, he has an internet website

7. stevescookin

It'll keep for a long time as long as it's refrigerated. It's pretty salty so much so that the salt acts as a preservative. I've kept it for months at a time. I think you can keep it longer than that.

2 people like this.