Religious Freedom Restoration Act - Indiana

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mancha, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

She sold him flowers regularly but didn't want to be part of a same-sex wedding and gave him the name of another florist.

2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

based on his sexual orientation, where is the line?

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

im not pushing for gay tolerance, i hold traditional views as well, i have a problem with the broadness of the law. Where does it begin and end in being able to use religion as an excuse to discriminate. This has been done before federal laws were written, they called it Jim Crow.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Pence has done little but dodge the issue and refuse to answer questions. His right-wing politics are on record--a former talk radio host who ran for office on the platforms of anti-abortion, banning same-sex marriage, and has an anti-civil rights, anti-immigration reform and anti-environment voting record. The media is not making up the skepticism of this law he promotes.

This law has a lot of potential to create more trouble than it solves because it blurs the lines between the rights of religious freedom and the right not to be discriminated against. There is a proper balance point to be found here, if all sides would be accommodating.

This country is stronger than ever, is not based on religious values and is far from "lost".

But, as written, it can also be used to conveniently discriminate in a public business, something that has long been illegal. People objected to desegregation based on religious reasons once. Same with womens right to vote. Nobody is forcing a Jew to operate a bakery open to the public. But if he operates one, he can't discriminate on the basis of color, religion, sexual preference, politics, creed, or language.

It doesn't mean that he has to do a good job of designing that cake. It doesn't mean that he has to charge a reasonable price for it. Nazi cakes cost $1,500, OK? It just means that he can't turn them away because he disagrees with their politics.

5. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

The law is based on a federal law from 1993. Signed by Bill Clinton himself. Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

If he was a democrat y'all wouldn't be saying shit. You would give him your full support most likely.

6. red55

In all fairness, Clinton announced her full support for marriage equality on March 18, 2013. That’s 46 days after she stepped down from a job that required her to stay out of domestic politics for four years. Clinton’s expressed support for domestic partnerships as far back as 1999--sixteen years ago. By 2006, as the junior senator from New York, Clinton supported civil unions and said, “I support states making the decision” when asked if she would oppose a law legalizing same-sex marriage in that state.

7. red55

That law prevents the government from forcing a citizen to violate his religious principles. This new state law permits citizens to discriminate against other citizens based on religious principles.

8. gyver

So?
    So?

9. red55

So . . . its not going to fly. Discrimination is illegal under federal law.

10. gyver

If I don't want to have dealings with a person or group of people based on my personal views and beliefs it's my right. To force me to would be a violation of my rights.