Random Thoughts and Questions About Food Thread

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by OkieTigerTK, Jun 23, 2008.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

ok, this is for those stupid little thoughts and questions about food that dont deserve their own thread.

ill start with a couple of questions.

1. do you put steak sauce on your steak? if so, what kind?

2. do you eat your corn on the cob left to right, right to left, or around and around?

im pretty sure at least 5 people just muttered something about the off season.:hihi:

oh, and my answers would be that sometimes steak sauce. either a1 or tiger sauce.

corn on the cob is around and around.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

1. If the steak is good enough, it doesn't need sauce; the natural juices of the steak contain all the flavor you need. I don't bother with steak that isn't good enough to go without sauce.

2. Corn on the cob is just random, no set order, but I do eat peanut butter sandwiches from left to right, and I know this because I bring one to work to eat every single day of the school year (that way I don't have to think about what to fix for lunch or eat in the cafeteria.)

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

1. no sauce. never have never will. ill change the channel when i see it on tv.

2. left-right and round. i eat corn on the cob multiple times a week so ill switch it up. i do think my strategy becomes skewed when i have had a ton to drink before hand.

4. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I use Heinz 57, sometimes I use butter

I eat my corn on the cob from left to right

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Really great steak needs no sauce. Ordinary steak sometimes needs a bit of 57 or Worchestershire. I have a friend who takes a steak off the grill then dips it in hot, thin, garlicky French-dip gravy before putting it on the plate. Not bad at all.

Corn is left to right like a typewriter, 3 rows at a time.

6. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

Agree with Red and others....but...I will not eat a steak unless it is great. I really only eat steaks at home or a nice restaurant that is truly a steak house...not a ryans "steakhouse"....Outback is about as low as I go. I prefer the local places over a chain. If I have to go somewhere where I have to guess if the steak will be good...then it is STAY AWAY FROM THE STEAK and get chicken...i mean, how bad can one screw up chicken?

As for corn...depends...If it is the little corn in a crawfish boil, then left to right. But, if it is a whole ear, then around and round.

7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I think you nailed er Rubi. It is go or go home on a steak. You either obtain the finer cuts from a notable butcher or you hit a steakhouse that employs a notable butcher. The best steak no matter the cut can be judged by simply cooking it only with a pinch of salt and pepper. My preference is aged beef if the price is right or for a good price I will age it myself. I found Rib-eye the other day for $3.99 lb. and now I have a science project in the fridge.

Corn on the cob, I try to chew :geaux: in mine. Success depends on the gluttony factor.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In a restaurant, sure. Are you saying that you never just pick up some regular steaks at the grocery to feed the family? May be you're doing pretty well, but dropping 24 bucks on a USDA Prime steak from Calandro's ain't something I like to do every week. I find steaks for half that price that are more than half as tasty and I eat steak every week.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i agree on the sauce (tho different kinds) which is why i said sometimes. my problem is, i was raised on my grandfather's home grown beef. then my dad took over the cattle business. i was in college before i ever ate steak at a restaurant. seriously.

after being raised on the good home grown corn fed stuff every thing else seems ordinary. my dad quit raising beef cattle a few years ago and i have to buy it at the store now. no matter how good it looks, it cant compare. i am slowly getting used to it.

10. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Alright I do not use store bought sauce on my steak EVER! But I will admit that I make a homemade red wine/mushroom gravy when I make homemade salisbury steak and I always make extra and refrigerate so the next day I can grill some steaks and pour the gravy and mushrooms over it. Can't help it!

As for corn, I love any kinda corn so I don't know how i eat it, it isn't around long enough to know!