Potential SEC Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You have a good point, I think it would come down to SEC teams having a CRAP OOC sched b/c the supper confs will hardly have room to sched for say, LSU. Also, the OOC sched is a big factor in BCS rankings come end of the year.

This is the prob ND will run into as teams in these supper confs will ultimately be forced to play really weak OOC b/c they will only have 1-2 weeks off of conf play. I would assume.

I honestly do not understand where this is all coming from? Is it b/c these other confs just want more money? Do they look at the SEC in envy? I am not sure if they know this, but adding 6 more teams to a conf isn't gonna make fans in more interested and the fans of the SEC are the exact reason our teams do so good. More fans = more money which goes back into getting better players/coaches.

The love for sports is just not the same as it is here in the south.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

nationally, it is, because that is where the money comes from.

but I'm looking at all sports (ok, only the big 3) when I say I want A&M.

Football: their fanbase is SEC caliber loyal and loud. team would currently be a middle of the pack type, but I think they can become a consistent competitor for the West. SEC caliber stadium as well.

Basketball: not great. fits in well with most of the SEC not named Kentucky

Baseball: usually solid. no titles, but a regular in the postseason. one of only 4 non-sec schools to finish in top 10 in attendance.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

aTm and that much farther west than LSU.

the SEC has little/nothing to gain by adding FSU, Louisville, Georgia Tech, or Clemson.

if you head out that direction, you gotta go:
    UNC: up and coming in football, top notch in basketball (yeah I know they sucked this year), solid in baseball. plus gets the SEC into a new state.

Virginia Tech: gets you into the DC market. SEC type football team and facilities, good baseball program,

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I could have hit quote reply on a few different post here but the bottom line is you have to win ball games. The same reason the shorthorns don't want any part of the SEC is the same reason we shouldn't want them in the SEC. Let them cake walk through the SLACK10 and meet us at the end of the road and we will see who the man is. Same goes for the big whatever the hell they will end up calling themselves. The SEC is tough enough as it is and the entire CFB world knows it. It is why we got in as a 2 loss team and it is why future 2 loss teams will probably get in given the circumstances in the future. We are bad ass and the rest are chasing which is the way it should be.:thumb::geaux:

5. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Anybody think Nebraska was influenced in its decision to jump ship and thereby initiate the disintegration of the Big 12 because of the way the refs in the Big 12 championship game put seconds back on the clock allowing Texas to score the winning field goal?

I remember Bo Pelini being more than just a little ticked off after the game.

I only mention it because Nebraska seemed so eager to get the ball rolling...everyone else seems to be taking their time in comparison.

Thoughts?

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

its the incentive of the $$$$ from the big ten network.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

NO, I don't think that had anything to do with it. Hell mizzou has been all over some big ten knob and as of yet they are still left out and looking for a home. The corn shuckers were sought out by the BT because it is a good fit. They are the only D1 school in that entire wide open corn growing wasteland so why not? Big time profits for their 3 yrds and a cloud of dust network. If coaches being pissed and moving conferences because of what the zebras did during a game had any influence on where teams aligned themselves, wooo weee now that would be a huge mess.

8. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

UNC would be ideal but no way they are leaving their triangle of rivalries especially in basketball. Those guys love their Lacrosse as well.:hihi:

My 1st 2 in outside of OU and Texas wold be A&M and VT for many of the same reasons. WV would be right up there too.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Not sure what is factual anymore in regard to expansion but A&M paysites are saying they are coming to the SEC and they are having an emergency session this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.